Page 86 of 206 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast

Thread: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

Beans

Re: Comprehensive Sound Problem Solutions Guide

Thanks I will keep a note of that, because it started working.
    I have no idea why

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, self-reply:

Got solved installing 1.0.15, instead of 1.0.16... Looks like the older the driver is, the better it is...
    --Bixejo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Ahoyhoy... your guide really helped me get things back to the original working state (i.e. onboard sound) after a bungled attempt to compile the latest ALSA (1.0.16) from source. To do that I used bits of this guide and bits from others (inc the ALSA page) with the ultimate goal of using my EMU 1616m in Ubuntu. I believe this is supported in 1.0.16 but couldn't quite get hold of and comprehensive info on how to install it in addition to my hda-intel. Is there any way to substitute the source code of 1.0.16 for the 'alsa-source' (1.0.14 from the repos) used in the module-assistant method? Hope this makes sense... Btw, I'm a hellava noob but can't stop my tinkering...

(Acer Aspire 5652 - Gutsy > Ubuntu Studio crossgrade)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by metrorat View Post
    [...] Is there any way to substitute the source code of 1.0.16 for the 'alsa-source' (1.0.14 from the repos) used in the module-assistant method? Hope this makes sense...
    Hi metrorat,

I also tried to revert the alsa-1.0.16 installation from source, back to the 1.0.14 supplied by the official repos, but did not succeed. Looks like the from-source installation overwrites some stuff that is not written back again by the deb packages installation. Note also that installing from source is not noticed by the system packages database (Synaptic would still report the former version as installed.)

The only workaround I found was to install the former version also from source. In my case 1.0.15 fixed the issue.

You may download it in the following URL's:

Driver:

Libs:

Utils and oss (not strictly necessary, I believe):

To install 1.0.14 instead of 1.0.15, just replace '15' by '14' in the above links.

Make sure you follow carefully all the installation steps. And one more advice: when compiling, installing, etc., I would suggest you to get a true superuser shell instead of sudoing each step. In the case you don't have got root account enabled, which is the default in Ubuntu, you may still get the superuser shell (more or less) by typing:

yourlogin@yourhost$ sudo bash
    One more note: check your PATH environment variable and make sure that all building commands (make, gcc, etc.) are taken from the default system installation, instead of some other sw that you may have installed before. I also got a problem with that, and got almost mad till I realized what was happening...

Good luck,
    --Bixejo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by bixejo View Post
    Please, help.

alsa 1.0.14 was the last driver that worked for me (more or less, no headphones sound nor speakers mute when plugging headphones jack). Trying to solve this, and after trying more than one dozen of non-solutions I found across these forums and all over the Internet, I upgraded to 1.0.16. Result: no sound at all.

Now I'm trying to revert to 1.0.14 but it's impossible. I reinstalled all the stuff suggested in LordRaiden's post but any time I try to load snd-hda-intel I get the following:

dmesg output related to snd-hda-intel follows (just a few, are a lot):

And similar errors related to modules snd_rawmidi, snd_seq_midi, and snd_seq_dummy.

Other modules that look to load correctly:

My sound card/audio devices, as reported by lspci -v:

Seems that 8281H (ICH8 family) is not listed in http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/, but alsa 1.0.14 at least managed to make sound through speakers, which I find now a dream!

Isn't there any chance to revert this driver upgrade but making a complete Gutsy reinstall? Please, help. My feeling is that any time I try to take one step forward in fixing things in my installation I actually take five steps backwards. This is my fourth attempt to giving up with Windows in five years.

Thank you in advance,
    Try going through the reinstall from source using the module-assistant method. I had a very similar problem and had to go back to 1.0.14 from 1.0.16 (although my HDA Intel chipset is officially supported in 1.0.14). I did however use:

Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
    beforehand. This method managed to get me back to my previous working state.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Just read your reply - thanks... obviously you've been gnashing on this for a while so feel free to ignore my perhaps not so sage advice above. What do you mean by PATH environment variable btw, I am running rt-kenel... will this present an issue do you think?

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just read your reply - thanks... obviously you've been gnashing on this for a while...
    Indeed. I've been forced to learn a bit (not much) just by crashing my head against the problems wall.

... so feel free to ignore my perhaps not so sage advice above. ...
    Don't worry. I really appreciate your help. One shouldn't neglect any help (nor any enemy either...)

... What do you mean by PATH environment variable
    Any time you open a shell there are some environment variables set that are (or may be) checked by any program you run from that shell. One of the most important variables is PATH, which instruct shell on where to find any program whose execution you request (either directly or through a shell script.) To check what's your current PATH variable just type:

yourlogin@yourhost:~$ echo $PATH
    To check what's the program that will actually be run by the system any time you issue its command in the shell, you may use the 'which' command. For example, to check which program will be executed if you try the command 'make', you may type:

yourlogin@yourhost:~$ which make
    Anyhow, if you don't know what I'm talking about, the most likely is that you wouldn't have to worry about this, as it's highly unlike that PATH gets changed in your shell unless you explicitly do so by editing the file .bashrc in your home directory.

... btw, I am running rt-kenel... will this present an issue do you think?

Cheers
    I'm afraid I cannot tell you too much about that. I know that you may run into problems with rt-kernels when installing some proprietary drivers (like fglrx driver for ATI video cards) but haven't ever heard anything similar related to sound drivers.

Good luck, and thank you again for your help,
    --Bixejo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Managed to sucessfully compile 1.0.16 from source and onboard intel-hda sound is working. Emu Cardbus card is recognised but not got any sound out of the h/p jack. Only crashed once after but think that might be something to do the the ongoing struggle between rt-kernel and nvidia-glx driver...

Anyone out there got a working 1616m? If so how please...?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Managed to sucessfully compile 1.0.16 from source and onboard intel-hda sound is working. Emu Cardbus card is recognised but not got any sound out of the h/p jack. Only crashed once after but think that might be something to do the the ongoing struggle between rt-kernel and nvidia-glx driver...

Anyone out there got a working 1616m? If so how please...?
    *Cheers!* If you got some sound, you definitely are on the right way.

I also had got for a while the h/p no sound issue. I solved it in two steps that I'm writing down below. Perhaps you find them helpful. After the first step, I got sound from headphones, but main audio output did not automatically mute on plugging the h/p jack.

I recall from your previous posts that you are using hda-intel module, so the following is referred to that module.

1. Double click on desktop volume control icon (speaker), and there:
    • In menu File --> Change Device: make sure that you're making settings for HDA Intel.
    • In menu Edit --> Preferences: mark all check boxes you find, so that you may set values for all the available controls.
    • Make sure that your Headphones output (if any) is not muted nor it's at min volume.
    • Browse through options and switches, and check whether there exist some option with the name "Headphone jack sense" or something like that, and if so mark it.
    I believe you wouldn't have to reboot to check whether these changes took the desired effect, but if you indeed find the right options and after setting them correctly you still don't get any h/p sound, it might be a good idea to do so.

2. If the above didn't solve your issue, or did it only partially, you may consider to edit your file /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and add at its end a line like the following:

options snd-hda-intel model=something
    Where something stands for the right option, depending on your sound card codec chip and your system configuration. To check your codec chip type:

yourlogin@yourhost:~$ aplay -l
    In my case I get the following output:

bixejo@colmena:~$ aplay -l
    **** Lista de PLAYBACK Dispositivos Hardware ****
    tarjeta 0: Intel [HDA Intel], dispositivo 0: ALC268 Analog [ALC268 Analog]
    Subdispositivos: 0/1
    Subdispositivo #0: subdevice #0
    tarjeta 0: Intel [HDA Intel], dispositivo 6: Si3054 Modem [Si3054 Modem]
    Subdispositivos: 1/1
    Subdispositivo #0: subdevice #0
    So my codec chip is ALC268.

Once you know your codec chip, have a look at the file /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/ALSA-Configuration.txt.gz (Watch out! it's a compressed text file, don't try to read it with your usual text editor/browser. Try instead: )

yourlogin@yourhost:~$ zless /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/ALSA-Configuration.txt.gz
    (q to exit zless). Scroll down till you reach the section related to module snd-hda-intel. Find there your codec chip name and use the most appropriate option for your system within that codec name. I've got a Toshiba laptop, and the line:

options snd-hda-intel model=toshiba
    , works great for me.

If you make several attempts to set this line correctly, I believe that you still do not need to reboot every time to check if it works. You only should manage to remove from memory sound modules and reload them again, but if you don't see this clear the safest way is of course to reboot after any change.

Good luck!
    --Bixejo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My sound module is listed as HDA Generic. Under zless /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/ALSA-Configuration.txt.gz the instructions for generic modules are only " The model name "genric" is treated as a special case. When this
    model is given, the driver uses the generic codec parser without
    "codec-patch". It's sometimes good for testing and debugging." Any ideas on how to get a more specific patch?
    64-bit - HP Pavilion dv6700z - 15.4 in -Dual 2.4 gigahertz AMD 64-bit - 2GB RAM - GeForce 8400GS - 120 GB

Page 86 of 206 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896136186 ... LastLast