Thread: Matlab installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Matlab installation

Hi everybody.
    I have installed matlab but I don't install it in default destination.After that I create Matlab luncher by
    Code:
    sudo wget http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Matlab_Logo.png -O /usr/share/icons/matlab.png
    and

Code:
    sudo wget 'https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MATLAB?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=matlab-r2010b.desktop' -O /usr/share/applications/matlab.desktop
    Now when I lunch it by opening it at usr/share/application It can't run and says :

HTML Code:
    Details: Failed to execute child process "matlab" (No such file or directory
    What can I do?

And second,Is there any way to install Orcad in linux?Is it possible to install it by virtual box or is there any version of that for Linux?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Matlab installation

No answer!?Please help mw if you can /...

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Hi mmsltni,

There is also octave that can do quite a lot of the matlab stuff.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install octave
    Maybe you will be prompted to select one of many versions, e.g.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install octave3.2
    Have fun finding out
    Olle

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mmsltni View Post
    Hi everybody.
    I have installed matlab but I don't install it in default destination.After that I create Matlab luncher by
    Code:
    sudo wget http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Matlab_Logo.png -O /usr/share/icons/matlab.png
    and

Code:
    sudo wget 'https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MATLAB?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=matlab-r2010b.desktop' -O /usr/share/applications/matlab.desktop
    Now when I lunch it by opening it at usr/share/application It can't run and says :

HTML Code:
    Details: Failed to execute child process "matlab" (No such file or directory
    What can I do?

And second,Is there any way to install Orcad in linux?Is it possible to install it by virtual box or is there any version of that for Linux?

Thanks.
    Why do you choose to avoid the default destination for Matlab? You just create problems for yourself by doing so.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OrCad is not available to run natively on Linux. You can try it with wine, and it should certainly work on a Windows VM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Since you've picked a non-default location, edit /usr/share/applications/matlab.desktop and provide the path for the matlab executable.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rewyllys View Post
    Why do you choose to avoid the default destination for Matlab? You just create problems for yourself by doing so.
    I don't have enough space in default dir.
    Olle Wiklund,I know octave but I get use to work with matlab...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The simplest solution would be to symlink to the executable (this way you would also be able to launch Matlab from the terminal by typing "matlab").

This requires sudo privileges, so be sure to either trust me or check what these commands do before using them. You can do all this without the terminal, but this way it's easier.

Code:
    sudo ln -s <path-to-your-matlab-binary-here> /usr/bin/matlab
    Then you have to edit the launcher. All launchers are found in the /usr/share/applications/ directory and end in .desktop. You need sudo privileges to edit things here. Remeber to use gksudo instead of sudo when invoking graphical applications.

Code:
    gksudo gedit <name-of-the-launcher>
    In there, you'll find a line that starts with exec=. Change whatever is behind that to matlab -desktop. With the -desktop option, Matlab doesn't require an open and unusable terminal all the time.

Good luck!

P.S.: Step 2 will only work if you did step 1 as well.
    Last edited by Blutkoete; November 5th, 2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Typo, added post scriptum.
    If SUDO is all-powerful, can SUDO start a process that SUDO can't kill?

Beans

thanks for the code