Thread: Screenshot Gnome-shell how to

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Screenshot Gnome-shell how to

How do you take a screenshot in gnome-shell while in preview mode? I tried PrtScrn on the keyboard. I get "Gnome Screenshot failed: Command not found.
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Screenshot Gnome-shell how to

Quote Originally Posted by joplass View Post
    How do you take a screenshot in gnome-shell while in preview mode? I tried PrtScrn on the keyboard. I get "Gnome Screenshot failed: Command not found.
    Cheers
    Yes it's a known bug in gnome3. Install a program called scrot from the package manager. Works great.
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Bobhuber View Post
    Yes it's a known bug in gnome3. Install a program called scrot from the package manager. Works great.
    I have been using scrot and I am very familiar with the program. I wonder if there is another way of running scrot.
    I did Alt+F2 to launch the command popl up while in preview mode. Typing "scrot -d 5" gave me command not recognized. How do you use scrot in preview mode?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by joplass View Post
    I have been using scrot and I am very familiar with the program. I wonder if there is another way of running scrot.
    I did Alt+F2 to launch the command popl up while in preview mode. Typing "scrot -d 5" gave me command not recognized. How do you use scrot in preview mode?
    Thanks
    Remove the space in your command and tell it what kind of file you want to create..
    I wrote a simple bash file that I run from Cairo dock. You could run it ALT+F2 also.
    screenshot.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    scrot -d5 temp.png
    convert temp.png -resize '50%' desktop.jpg
    rm temp.png
    eog desktop.jpg
    Change the delay to suit your needs and it will give you plenty of time to do whatever with the desktop. This takes the shot,resizes it and displays it for preview. Save the file in /usr/local/bin and mark it executable.To run it just type screenshot.sh from a terminal or ALT+F2.
    Please note you will need ImageMagick installed for the convert command to work.
    AMD FX-6200 - MSI 4.1Ghz- Nvidia GTX550Ti -12/GIG - 60GB-SSD/500 Sata - 12.04 - Gnome 3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Bobhuber View Post
    Remove the space in your command and tell it what kind of file you want to create..
    I wrote a simple bash file that I run from Cairo dock. You could run it ALT+F2 also.
    screenshot.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    scrot -d5 temp.png
    convert temp.png -resize '50%' desktop.jpg
    rm temp.png
    eog desktop.jpg
    Change the delay to suit your needs and it will give you plenty of time to do whatever with the desktop. This takes the shot,resizes it and displays it for preview. Save the file in /usr/local/bin and mark it executable.To run it just type screenshot.sh from a terminal or ALT+F2.
    Please note you will need ImageMagick installed for the convert command to work.
    That did the trick.
    Thanks

Beans

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-screenshot