Thread: Helping promote Ubuntu whereever you go!

Beans

Talking Helping promote Ubuntu whereever you go!

I am making this post after talking with my brother miestercobbman, about how we could help promote Ubuntu more. As most know, the best communities are usually the ones that have a good foundation and have the biggest crowd supporting. This is of course with exceptions.
    With that said, I will be making this list of ways to help promote Ubuntu for not just the noobie, but for everyone.

• Talk about Ubuntu
      - Mentioning Ubuntu to a friend with computer troubles or explaining the philosophy sparks not only a good conversation but will help the person to not be "scared" of the "complicated" Linux OS. (Yes that last part was sarcastic)
    • Requesting Ubuntu when you purchase a computer.
      - Yes this will really helps. Whenever you purchase a computer or are shopping for a computer, you know it comes with Windows on in, however by asking if they can install Ubuntu on the system with/or instead of Windows will help store owners see that there is a demand.
    • Wear Ubuntu
      - Everyone wears clothing(unless your my brother, he's kind of a hippy). By wearing clothing that has Ubuntu's logo on it, it helps others be more familiar with the name, look and feel of Ubuntu. This also will spark interest in people who will look up Ubuntu for themselves.
    • Bring it with you
      - Bring an official Ubuntu CD and case with you. If someone is curious, you can just hand them the cd and your good to go! If you don't have an official Ubuntu CD, you can get one from the Ubuntu Utah team or your local team. This is great because I know when I first was getting into Ubuntu, I just didn't know how to burn an iso file onto a cd in windows. (It's much harder to do in Windows than Ubuntu).
    • Lead by example
      - A great way to promote Ubuntu is to use it. When people see how easy and simple it is (not to mention the wealth of free applications) it will spark interest. Use it on your laptop, desktop or work PC. Some people aren't fond of the religious zealto "spreading the word", and being an example can often be very effective. (Thank you Atoponce for this way to promote)

There are more to come. If you have anymore ways to promote "spreading Ubuntu" just post and I will add them.

The Net Duck
    Last edited by thenetduck; February 1st, 2007 at 01:45 AM. Reason: atoponce suggestion

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Helping promote Ubuntu whereever you go!

Quote Originally Posted by thenetduck View Post
    [*]Wear Ubuntu
    - Everyone wears clothing(unless your my brother, he's kind of a hippy). By wearing clothing that has Ubuntu's logo on it, it helps others be more familiar with the name, look and feel of Ubuntu. This also will spark interest in people who will look up Ubuntu for themselves.[/LIST]
    I would love to find a polo shirt with the Ubuntu logo.
    Mike: "The hardest questions in life are the ones worth answering"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I would love to find a polo shirt with the Ubuntu logo.
    http://www.cafepress.com/ubuntushop/

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...12&postcount=1

Beans

The biggest thing I think for promoting Ubuntu is to lead by example. Use it on your laptop, desktop or work PC. Some people aren't fond of the religious zealot "spreading the word", and being an example can often be very effective.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have Edgy on my laptop which I take to the U of U. I get many double-takes when I switch desktops with Beryl (via the infamous 3D cube). Great conversation starter! Get this, I even had someone ask me if that was Vista that I was running! Oh the ignorance!