Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What is your best Linux experience?

Beans

Post Re: What is your best Linux experience?

Great experiences overall, very inspirational.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: What is your best Linux experience?

Going to a local non profit to help them with IT support. They had about 12 old computers all of which didn't boot (no licenses included). After taking many apart, swapping parts, and installing Ubuntu I had a small Linux lab for people to use, that cost absolutely nothing but my volunteered time. Thanks to Linux's security and fairly easy updating, the computers should (hopefully) run until the hardware breaks so the owner won't need to worry about them. Forget trying to do a project like that in Windows or Mac.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

mine would be compiling my kernel (Fedora) and it actually worked!
    If Windows did not break, i would be out of a job...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    I honestly, would like to hear what your best Linux experience is.
    My best linux experience ever?
    Hmm...that's a tough one.
    Probably everytime I boot up my computer and see the Ubuntu logo.
    Ubuntu User # 17031
    Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    who needs support when you use Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by asjdfwejqrfjcvm msz34rq33 View Post
    Open-Source: The power to create completely useless, but extremely cool, programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Two come to mind (but none equal the story about the ski bunny and the chalet)

1. The day I booted into Windows XP after about 3 months of using Ubuntu exclusively. I got an "updates" notification and a warning that my virus signatures were out of date. I thought about it for 2 seconds and installed another Linux distro on the XP partition. I've never regreted it.

2. A couple of weeks later my Mother-in-law arrived with her digital camera and her scanner saying she could them to work properly on her (Windows) machine). I said I doubted I could do anything for her as I'd recently dumped windows. Both worked fine - hot plugged into my Ubuntu box. The best bit was that I still couldn't help her get them working on her own machine and she now doesn't ask me for IT help anymore!
    Aubrey
    Make a difference with Kiva microloans.
    My (new) Arduino and Ubuntu Blog

Beans

Post Re: What is your best Linux experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Tux Aubrey View Post
    Two come to mind (but none equal the story about the ski bunny and the chalet)

1. The day I booted into Windows XP after about 3 months of using Ubuntu exclusively. I got an "updates" notification and a warning that my virus signatures were out of date. I thought about it for 2 seconds and installed another Linux distro on the XP partition. I've never regreted it.

2. A couple of weeks later my Mother-in-law arrived with her digital camera and her scanner saying she could them to work properly on her (Windows) machine). I said I doubted I could do anything for her as I'd recently dumped windows. Both worked fine - hot plugged into my Ubuntu box. The best bit was that I still couldn't help her get them working on her own machine and she now doesn't ask me for IT help anymore!
    My best Linux experience was meeting and making lasting friendships with other Linux users.

Working towards a common cause of good to help other people out in their quest and having fun at the same time.

I am always Thankful that my bunny chewed through the mouse cord that was on my old windows 98se computer, and I couldn't get a new mouse to work. When my first Ubuntu ship it CD's came in I have been hooked ever since.

It's been one strange trip, but Linux always has a place in my heart. Great fun!

Beans

Being able to copy a Sony videodisc video_ts file for a frustrated friend (who had tried in vain to copy it with her computer) using K3B. Worked like a charm! My friend is very grateful (and very amazed) at my technological know-how!! Ha-Ha... she has no idea what a newbie I still am!

Beans

Linux is great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

My best experience would be when i found out Linux doesent need any AV software.

Another great experience is when i for the first time used compiz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Best Linux experience I've had was when my 14 year old son came to me and asked if I would install Linux on his laptop for him.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast