Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Install VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.04LTS (Hardy Heron) [Tutorial]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: How To: Install VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.04LTS (Hardy Heron) [Tutorial]

Forgive the repeat question if it's been asked, but is there a converter from Sun to convert windows partitions, or is it still best to use the vmware converter and run that image in virtualbox?

My google-fu has failed me on this question.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

[QUOTE=SendDerek;4812765]This guide is intended to help users fully install VirtualBox and all of it's features which don't work out of the box such as USB support. I also have this tutorial (and others) on my blog. It's designed to be quick and painless, so let's get started:

Regarding your USB instruction from this page link above where noted:

Setup USB:

USB is disabled by default, so you’ll probably want to enable it. Otherwise you’ll get an error when you go into the “Settings” of your virtual machine. To correct this, you’ll need to edit the mountdevsubfs.sh file:

[In Terminal] sudo gedit /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh

Inside, you’ll see a block of code that looks like this:

#
    # Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
    #
    #mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    #domount usbfs “” /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    #ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    #mount –rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

Change it to look like this (uncomment out the region by deleting the “#’s”):

#
    # Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
    #
    mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    domount usbfs “” /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    mount –rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

Save the changes, log out, and then log back in again for the changes to take place.
    I basically installed the VirtualBox from the Applications/Add/Remove section and then from synaptic I installed the (ose-module-generic) the one that matches my kernel etc.

Anyhow, regarding your USB instruction, should this also work for me since I did not install per your instructions ?

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 32bit version and all is working well, however I've not tried any USB devices such as webcam etc. to see if that will work ?
    Please advise
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by AgentZ86 View Post
    Anyhow, regarding your USB instruction, should this also work for me since I did not install per your instructions ?
    Hi, I'm not the OP but I did follow the tutorial and finally got USB to work after about 9 hours of troubleshooting and hunting around the net. The one thing I had to do wasn't included in this tutorial was add a line to the end of /etc/fstab by doing:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    I added this to the end of the file:
    Code:
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=124,devmode=664 0 0
    Then the part I think that caused me the most trouble was that I had to reboot after I added that. I think you can do like a "mount -a" or something, I didn't try it, instead of rebooting.

Hope this helps.

To the OP: Should this be added to the tutorial? I don't know.

Beans

Angry Re: How To: Install VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.04LTS (Hardy Heron) [Tutorial]

Hi,

I'm new to Ubuntu and VirtualBox and I'm having some problems that I hope the good people of this forum can help me with.

I'm running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and VirtualBox 2.0.2.

I've managed to install VirtualBox without any issues, I have a Windows XP guest running, guest additions are installed and everything appears to be working fine. I made the changes to /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh to enable the code that provides USB support. However, I want to be able to connect my cellphone to to the Windows XP so I can use "ActiveSync" and copy files back and forth. I've tried everything I can find to get this to work, and no matter which solution I try, I get one of two issues...

Either A) I get the "Not permitted to open the USB device, check usbfs options." or...
    B) As soon as I start my Windows VM my keyboard and mouse lock up and I have to reboot my entire system (cold boot - removing power cord). It's like VirtualBox takes control of them and won't allow me to go back to my desktop.

I also tried making the changes described to /etc/udev/rules.d/40-basic-permissions.rules, including changing the "MODE" value to "0666" from "0664". I've also tried adding "GROUP="vboxusers" to the line in the file. It has no effect whatsoever. Here is a copy paste of it currently looks like (returned to default after changes did not work):

# USB devices (usbfs replacement)
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", MODE="0664"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0664"
    Additionally, I have edited the /etc/fstab file. This causes my keyboard and mouse to lock as soon as I start my Windows VM. I added the following line:

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=124,devmode=664 0 0
    I tried various options for this line, including changing it to say devmode=666, and creating a separate group called "usbusers" as described in this tutorial:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=242936

It's been two days now, and I still can't figure this out. I have been on every forum, read nearly all the posts and nothing seems to work - I always get one of the two outcomes described above.

In terms of hardware, I have a run-of-the-mill Dell desktop and a wireless Dell keyboard and mouse.

If anyone can help, I would really be grateful. This is new to me and I am trying as hard as I can to get everything to work.

Thanks in advance for your help...
    Last edited by Matt_TX; October 5th, 2008 at 08:04 PM.

Beans

I keep getting this message
    VirtualBox kernel driver not installed. The vboxdrv kernel module was either not loaded or /dev/vboxdrv was not created for some reason. Please install the virtualbox-ose-modules package for your kernel, e.g. virtualbox-ose-modules-generic..
    VBox status code: -1908 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED).

Result Code:
    0x80004005
    Component:
    Console
    Interface:
    IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}
    All the drivers ARE installed so I don't know what it's talking about...

Beans

Talking Re: How To: Install VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.04LTS (Hardy Heron) [Tutorial]

SendDerek you made my day...

I finally go virtualbox to run! thank you so much!!!! *dies of exhaustion*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I've been trying to get USB working with the OSE version in the repository until I saw this. Very easy to follow. Once I changed the group id in /etc/fstab to the vboxusers group, everything worked.

One question though: Is it possible to access my USB thumbdrive in linux while virtualbox is still running?

Beans

this does not work with me please i need help.

i keep getting this even in 2.0

Could not load the Host USB Proxy Service (VERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND). The service might be not installed on the host computer.

Result Code:
    NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x00004005)
    Component:
    Host
    Interface:
    IHost {489fb370-c227-4d43-9761-ceb28484fd9f}

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This is what I did, but it isn't a perfect solution:

<alt><f2> then gksu gedit

put in your pw

then open file etc --> init.d --> mountdevsusbfs.sh

go to the lines "# magic to make the usb work"

uncomment the next 4 lines (don't uncomment the magic line)

restart your pc.

Now, you have to make sure you are a member of vboxusers group. I think there is another group you are supposed to create but for the life of me I never remember that part, and so I came up with the next part of this. If anyone knows that last part please post so I can write it down and start doing it right .

Whenever I want to run virtualbox instead of trying to remember that last group I just hit alt f2 and type gksu VirtualBox, or I create a link to it to avoid having to remember the last step (which I forgot to write down).

Hope this helps,
    L
    This Above all, To Thine Own Self Be True....
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows xp in Virtualbox
    Laptop: Win XP MCE / Ubuntu 9.04 dual-boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

for tjwilli,
    Yes. Just by unmounting from virtual box. That is click on the devices -> USB devices and mounted device from tool bar of running virtual machine.
    Simultaneous access is not possible.

for loveandequality,
    You have to edit /etc/fstab file as below.

include following line in /etc/fstab

none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=xxx,devmode=660 0 0

Add at the end of the document.
    Attention: xxx as a group, vboxusers.

If vboxusers group is not created, crate it and add it in root.

I did as above for Virtualbox2.0.2 in Ubuntu8.10 and got worked.

Prabath
    Last edited by prabath_fun; December 10th, 2008 at 09:18 AM.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast