Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install latest aiptektablet drivers from CVS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Post HOWTO: Aiptek tablet installation for 7.04

Please see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AiptekTablet for more up-to-date instructions

Changelog
    Jan. 11 2009 - big red link to the official help page
    Apr. 24 2007 - original howto replaced by bmcage's new version and luopio's fixes

1. Obtain development system
    Enable universe, multiverse repositories in synaptic (in top menu: settings->repositories).
    Open a terminal (applications->accessories->terminal) and enter the command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-kernel-headers subversion linux-source

2. Kernel Aiptek module
    We start by making the kernel driver.
    Code:
    mkdir aiptek
    cd aiptek
    svn co https://aiptektablet.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/aiptektablet/trunk/linux_kernel_drivers/2.6 aiptekkernel
    cd aiptekkernel
    make
    Replace the current module with the new one we just compiled:
    Code:
    cp /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/input/aiptek.ko aiptek.ko.old
    sudo cp aiptek.ko /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/kernel/drivers/usb/input/
    3. Xserver module
    We start with adding the present defunct module, and then compile the new one, replacing the old with the result. In the aiptek directory:
    Code:
    cd ..
    svn co https://aiptektablet.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/aiptektablet/trunk/xserver_input_driver aiptekxserver
    cd aiptekxserver
    sudo apt-get build-dep xserver-xorg-input-aiptek
    apt-get source xserver-xorg-input-aiptek
    The last command installed the source in the directory xserver-xorg-input-aiptek-1.0.1. We replace the files with the downloaded SVN files (I have used revision 190 which worked fine on Feisty):
    Code:
    cp xserver-xorg-input-aiptek-1.0.1/src/xf86Aiptek.h xserver-xorg-input-aiptek-1.0.1/src/xf86Aiptek.h.old
    cp xserver-xorg-input-aiptek-1.0.1/src/xf86Aiptek.c xserver-xorg-input-aiptek-1.0.1/src/xf86Aiptek.c.old 
    cp xf86Aiptek.c xf86Aiptek.h xserver-xorg-input-aiptek-1.0.1/src/
    cd xserver-xorg-input-aiptek-1.0.1/
    ./configure --prefix=/usr
    make
    sudo make install

4. Find the Tablet, and make a Udev rule
    Use gedit (or your favourite editor to create a new file)
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/66-aiptek.rules
    Insert the following text there:
    Code:
    # udev rule for aiptek tablets

KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{vendor_id}=="0x08ca", SYMLINK+="input/aiptektablet"
    Save the file and restart Udev:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart
    Plugin your tablet and check that you have a link in /dev/input/aiptektablet
    Code:
    ls /dev/input/aiptektablet

5. Test the tablet
    You can query the device with the following command:
    Code:
    udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/input/aiptektablet)
    This will show you how the different parameters of your tablet are set.

6. Enable the pen in the Xserver
    Now we enable the pen in the xserver. For this we need to edit our xorg.conf file. First, backup the old one:
    Code:
    cd /etc/X11/
    sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.conf.no-pen
    Now, edit the file xorg.conf with kate/gedit. The standard Ubuntu xorg comes with the wacom tablet enabled. You should delete the entries referring to the wacom tablet driver. Now, you add an InputDevice section:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
     Identifier "pen"
     Driver "aiptek"
     Option "Device" "/dev/input/aiptektablet"
     Option "Type" "stylus"
     Option "Mode" "absolute"
     Option "Cursor" "stylus"
     Option "Mode" "absolute"
     Option "PressCurve" "0,5,95,100"
     Option "zMin" "0"
     Option "zMax" "512"
     Option "ZThreshold" "0"
     Option "USB" "on" 
     Option "KeepShape" "on"
     Option "debuglevel" "0"
    EndSection
    You can find info on these settings on xfree86 or by typing the command 'man aiptek'. Now we need to make sure the mouse does not conflict with our hyperpen, so we change the mouse InputDevice Section:
    Code:
     Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    should be changed to
    Code:
     Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
    Furthermore, make sure the following option is present:
    Code:
    Option "CorePointer"
    In some cases, the mouse is not on mouse0. Test this first with the command:
    Code:
    udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/input/mouse0)
    udevinfo -a -p $(udevinfo -q path -n /dev/input/mouse1)
    and select the correct mouse node for use in xorg.conf. In my case mouse1 returns among others: ATTRS{name}=="Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse", so I need to set /dev/input/mouse1.

Note that hotplug of another mouse will not work after this, as this mouse will be connected to another input. So, you need to change your xorg.conf again in that case and restart X.

Now we change the ServerLayout section to reflect our changes. In my case:
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier "Default Layout" 
     Screen "Default Screen" 0 0
     InputDevice "Generic Keyboard" "CoreKeyboard"
     InputDevice "Configured Mouse" "CorePointer"
     # the following are entries for the tablet
     InputDevice "pen" "AlwaysCore"
     #InputDevice "cursor" "AlwaysCore"
     #InputDevice "eraser" "AlwaysCore"
    EndSection
    If you don't have a standard mouse, or you don't care about it, remove its entry and change the
    Code:
    InputDevice "cursor" "AlwaysCore"
    line to
    Code:
    InputDevice "cursor" "CorePointer"

As a last step, we backup our changes:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.pen
    Restart your X server and with a bit of luck, you can now use the tablet!

Erasor and Cursor
    Is it usefull to add erasor and cursor to xorg? If so, what do they do and how do you activate them? Not clear to me.

7. Configuration
    7.1. General
    You can configure the tablet from the command line, or via a GUI called gaiptek.
    Note that gaiptek is currently out of date and won't probably work with your tablet

For the command line method, read aiptek manual, section Programming the Tablet

To install gaiptek, go into your aiptek dir created above, and do the following:
    Code:
    svn co https://aiptektablet.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/aiptektablet/trunk/gaiptek gaiptek
    cd gaiptek
    sudo apt-get install libgtkmm-2.4-dev
    ./autogen.sh
    This should already execute make, if not, run make separately. You can now run gaiptek via
    Code:
    cd src
    ./gaiptek
    or install it system wide:
    Code:
    sudo make install
    gaiptek
    On my Feisty box, gaiptek gives an error that the driver is not found, and configuration is not possible. All help here is welcome. The xinput device pen is found, just no connection is made

You find a short gaiptek manual online.

7.2. Configuring the Function buttons at the top
    Clicking the buttons at the top works, and they do F1->F12 in my case. Can this behaviour be changed?

9. Usefull programs
    9.1. GIMP
    If you want to use pressure-sensitivity in the Gimp image editor, start gimp, and select File -> Preferences -> Input Devices -> Configure Extended Input Devices.
    Select device "pen" and set the Mode to "screen" (Mode "window" does not center the pointer icon on the pointer position in my case). Save and close the configuration windows.

To test: open a new image, use the pen to draw with the brush tool. You can set the pressure effect with the "pressure sensitivity" options. Works great.

Question: What does the keys tab mean in this configuration? Doesn't really work

9.2. Inkscape
    The pen is also usefull in Inkscape. Again, go to File->Input Devices, and as in GIMP you can enable the pen.

9.3. Gsumi
    A nice black/white drawing program with pressure curve. Install it on feisty via:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gsumi
    For info, see the gsumi homepage

In my case the pressure is not really working: below 50 the pen draws, over 50 it doesn't?

Troubleshooting

The tablet is not at /dev/input/aiptektablet
    If you are sure that you have saved the udev rule, restarted udev and plugged the tablet in with no success, then follow the instructions here to try to make it work.
    Run the command:
    Code:
    lsusb
    In my case this returns:
    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 03f0:0024 Hewlett-Packard
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 08ca:0010 Aiptek International, Inc. Tablet
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c01d Logitech, Inc.
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0606 Genesys Logic, Inc.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
    From this one can see that in my case the Vendor of the Aiptek tablet is 08ca, and the product id is 0010. With this we will make a udev rule so that the tablet is found always in a fixed place:
    Code:
    cd /etc/udev/rules.d/
    sudo touch aiptek-tablet.rules
    sudo kate aiptek-tablet.rules
    Use gedit in stead of kate on Ubuntu. Now in kate, paste the following, using the correct vendor and product id as determined with the method above, and save the file:
    Code:
    # links /dev/input/aiptektablet to the correct /dev/input/event*
    # without it, X will not be able to locate the tablet
    #
    # Run "lsusb" to find your idVendor and idProduct values.
    # All aiptek-compatible tablets might need different values.
    #
    # For me, lsusb outputs:
    # Bus 001 Device 005: ID 08ca:0010 Aiptek International, Inc. Tablet
    #
    KERNEL=="event[0-9]*", SYSFS{idVendor}=="08ca", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0010", SYMLINK+="input/aiptektablet"
    Xorg won't start anymore
    In case of an error, Xserver not starting, do the following: Press CTRL+ALT+F4 to open another tty, login, and use your original configuration
    Code:
    sudo cp xorg.conf.no-pen xorg.conf
    Now, you can restart the x server and all should be as in the beginning.

You can investigate the error after restart by reading /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old, looking for the place where the aiptek pen is loaded.

Clicking with the pen
    Clicking the buttons on the pen does not work in my case. However, with one tap of the pen (tap on the tablet, like you tap on a touchpad) a click is done. Eg curves in inkscape can be made by doing a tap, and at the end of curve a double tap.

Resources used for this howto:
    Last edited by luopio; January 11th, 2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: CVS to SVN change
    - luopio
    Microsoft gives you windows,
    but Linux gives you the whole house.

Beans
    Distro

Re: HOWTO: Install latest aiptektablet drivers from CVS

By creating a simple udev-rule you can make sure that the aiptektablet is always tied to /dev/input/aiptek. Here's my rule:
    Code:
    ~$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/aiptektablet.rules
     KERNEL=="event*", SYSFS{manufacturer}="AIPTEK International Inc.", 
     NAME="input/aiptektablet", MODE="0644"
    - luopio

Beans

Has anyone installed this on 6.06? I can't get the kernel module to compile.

Installed headers, then the whole kernel source:

peu@elrsr-01:~/Downloads/Aiptek/aiptektablet/trunk/linux_kernel_drivers/2.6$ ls /usr/src/
    linux-source-2.6.15 linux-source-2.6.15.tar.bz2
    peu@elrsr-01:~/Downloads/Aiptek/aiptektablet/trunk/linux_kernel_drivers/2.6$ make KSRC=/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15/
    Cannot find kernel sources in /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15/;
    give the path to kernel sources with KSRC=<path> argument to make
    make: *** [prereq_check] Error 1

Beans
    Distro

These directions were for Breezy, so they're a bit outdated. Also the current sources are in SVN, not in CVS. I changed the howto to reflect that, even though the rest won't work out-of-the-box.

You only need the headers. Installing the source & headers is useless, because the source contains the headers also.

I'm following the aiptektablet mailing list and I'll try out the latest drivers once they announce success (I'm hoping the new developers get the project to at least beta phase soon ). IF they work, I'll rewrite the howto.
    - luopio

Beans

Just headers isn't enough (at least, wasn't when I tried that first before grabbing the source, which I needed for something else anyway).

I'm also watching the mailing list every now and again, good to see someone else is as well Haven't seen any build instructions on there (yet) though.

For anyone interested, it seems that Nisis tablets are also Aiptek underneath (link) which is good as they seem to be offloading them at the moment in the UK... now just need to get the dang things to work right

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

So, does that mean that we can't use Aiptek tablets properly until the new drivers come out? If so, then I'm not too happy. I haven't been able to use my tablet (A Medion from Aldi, which is really an aiptek) on my Windows drove because of a conflict with service pack 2, and wonderful Windows that won't let you uninstall SPs (and I thought I could choose to not install SP2 on my new computer, but noooo, XP with no SP only recognises 120GB of my 300GB SATA. grrr)

So how long until the new drivers come out?

Beans
    Distro

John Barstow (one of the developers) has asked for a status update on which tablets are working. At the same time he said that he's been busy with other projects, but will get time "in the near future" for aiptek.

I guess that if you really want to try to get your tablet working you can download the latest stuff from SVN and try to compile it yourself. I don't know if these really work, but they're your best bet.

Or you can wait for John's release (which can take some time). Or you can start up a bounty for the release (I'll chip in a few €s too if you decide to start one )
    - luopio

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Install latest aiptektablet drivers from CVS

Quote Originally Posted by also-rr View Post
    Has anyone installed this on 6.06? I can't get the kernel module to compile.

Installed headers, then the whole kernel source:

peu@elrsr-01:~/Downloads/Aiptek/aiptektablet/trunk/linux_kernel_drivers/2.6$ ls /usr/src/
    linux-source-2.6.15 linux-source-2.6.15.tar.bz2
    peu@elrsr-01:~/Downloads/Aiptek/aiptektablet/trunk/linux_kernel_drivers/2.6$ make KSRC=/usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15/
    Cannot find kernel sources in /usr/src/linux-source-2.6.15/;
    give the path to kernel sources with KSRC=<path> argument to make
    make: *** [prereq_check] Error 1
    I was also having that error.. but I am now compiling the kernel.. and tried to compile again the aiptek kernel drivers and I am not geting that error

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Anyone messed with this at all lately? I've got one of these things that's just been laying around for years, I'd love to be able to actually use it. Tried compiling from SVN, but the xserver_input_driver part isn't working. Always get this:
    Code:
    Imakefile.c:39: error: Imake.tmpl: No such file or directory
    imake: Exit code 1.
      Stop.
    Also trieed installing from the repositories, no matter what I try it just doesn't seem to work.. It's recognized when it's plugged in and the appropriate kernel module loaded, but tit's still not actually working.. tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log:
    Code:
    Error reading Aiptek tablet: Success
    Error reading Aiptek tablet: Resource temporarily unavailable
    Error reading Aiptek tablet: Interrupted system call
    Anyone had any luck with one of these things?

Thought I might add, I'm on edgy 64 bit with kernel 2.6.17 and Xorg 7.1.1
    Meh

Beans
    Distro

I tried the code in SVN a few months back and I had a similar problem: the kernel module compiles and runs fine, but the Xorg module won't work. And AFAIK Imake is the build system that was used previously on Xorg, but now it's using GNU autotools, so the SVN code has not been updated to that.

However, the mailing list seems to be a bit more alive these days and something about having "everything working" by xorg 7.3 was mentioned.

As soon as any of the developers calls for testing I'll try and compile the drivers and update the HowTo.
    - luopio

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast