Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: firefox - right click strange behavior

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

firefox - right click strange behavior

since 8.04 installed i have an issue with firefox 3 that when i right click a link in a page then one of the following actions happen:
    - open the standard context menu for the selected link (this should be the expected behavior).
    - open the link in a new window.
    - open the bookmark dialog for the selected link.
    - open a new compose message in evolution where the message body is the selected link.
    - perform the "switch page direction" from right to left.

strange isn't it ?? any idea ???

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: firefox - right click strange behavior

Does this still happen if you disable all your add-ons?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Mine does the same thing with or without extensions disabled.
    CyberPower Gamer Ultra 7209 | AMD Athlon II X2 240 | 6 GB RAM | 1000GB & 500GB SATA-II HD
    ATI Radeon HD4550 | HP 2430 Printer | Ubuntu 11.04 | Windows 7 | ViewSonic VA703b Monitor

Beans

Mine does the same. It is quite annoying and curiously strange..

any solutions?

Has anyone tried reinstalling firefox?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi akkad

I use Firefox nearly 8 hours a day, some days even longer.

Only ONE of the mouse features I've used for decades is available in Linux, any flavor. The mouse works better in Ubuntu than most others, but does NOT have the support it should have, considering the keyboard and mouse are the two PRIMARY Human Interface Tools connected to a computer.

However, back to your issue. Firefox on Linux is NOT the same Firefox as for Winders! Images can be deceiving! As far as the mouse goes, it depends WHERE you are on the page and exactly WHAT your pointer is on top of when you right click. And WHAT the programmers of that web page WANT to happen if you right click. They actually have a little more control in ******* on what happens than they do in Linux due to the lack of mouse support in Linux.

Web sites I visit that have repetitive tasks will set a tab to work the same from a right click or a left click, these are usually Java or Shockwave controlled images, shockwave don't work in Linux either, or should I say rarely.

If I go to a white space on a web page the BACK option is on the top of the list. But if I'm anywhere else, what comes up is nearly (not totally) dependent upon what the owners of that web page want to happen.

In ******* you can override the web sites requests for action in your mouse set-up program. Another feature not supported in Linux.

But look at it this way! Everything works better in Ubuntu than things did in ******* when it was at the same age or even 4 times as old!

And ******* hardware was NEVER cheap back then! A simple 9 pin dot matrix printer was over sixteen hundred dollars and slower than molasses in winter. Today you can get a full color excellent graphics printer for 50 bucks, but they'll soak you on the ink cartridges at 40 bucks each.

Most printers (due to standardization) will run on Linux, but perhaps not with all the support they should have.

Maybe we should all get together and agree to buy only from manufacturers who offer full Linux support for their products.
    There are too many manufacturers to expect all of them to fill the Linux niche, but if all Linux users chose a single manufacturer to make their hardware and accompanying software purchases, then the manufacturer would have the support they needed to develop the software and drivers.
    Just food for thought is all!

TTUL
    Gary

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kellemora View Post
    Hi akkad
    Maybe we should all get together and agree to buy only from manufacturers who offer full Linux support for their products.
    There are too many manufacturers to expect all of them to fill the Linux niche, but if all Linux users chose a single manufacturer to make their hardware and accompanying software purchases, then the manufacturer would have the support they needed to develop the software and drivers.
    Just food for thought is all!

TTUL
    Gary
    I always wondered if there were movements such as you describe. I would think that this would be popular for the consumer and the company. Please let me know if you find/start anything.

Beans

I've been experiencing the same issues and up till now was just thinking it was just me.

I understand what Kellemora is saying but this is happening on just a simple html hyperlink on pages that I'd been right clicking on for all my time browsing the site.

For example, right click on a link to bring up the context menu 'open in new tab' option, no menu appears, computer grinds away for a bit, pops up a new message window with the link in the message body (or any of the above that the OP mentioned).
    Curse and swear a little, close the new message window, right click again on the link, and then the context menu appears, carry on as normal...

it just seems a little weird that at first it won't work as expected, then it will second time around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I've been plagued by the same problem for a while. As far as I know, there's no solution yet for bug #206295. It seems to be caused by the random position of the pointer in the right-click menu when you open it.

Beans

Thanks for the link,

a bit of reading through that bug and one linked upstream suggested a workaround of installing the mouse gestures plugin:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/39.
    This supposedly makes the context menu appear after the right click release

I have installed it and will see how it goes.

Beans

It is definitely annoying. I didn't realise it was a bug. I always thought it was me moving the mouse whilst right clicking and therefore picking one of the context menu options accidentally. I now tend to hold the button down and drag and release to make sure i get the right option, or just take my palm off the mouse so i can guarantee i don't move it.

The problem seems to happen to me for maybe one in every five right clicks.
    Last edited by benerivo; November 10th, 2008 at 10:19 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast