Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Problem booting XP

Beans

Re: Problem booting XP

SquirrelyDirge, is your setup still the same as when you posted "fdisk -l" in post #8? If so, that would explain your troubles reinstalling Windows; Windows always requires a primary NTFS/FAT partition on the master drive to put its boot files. If you are trying to reinstall Windows to your 40 GB sdb drive, I'm guessing your sdb drive is the slave drive while your 80 GB HDD is the master drive; that means Windows can't find any partition on your 80 GB master drive to put its boot files since all the partitions on your 80 GB drive are for linux. I think your best bet is to open your computer, disconnect the 80 GB drive, temporarily make your 40 GB drive the master drive, and then reinstall Windows to the 40 GB master drive. Once you've installed Windows to the 40 GB drive and confirmed it boots OK, you can reconnect the 80 GB drive so it is the master drive again, and go back to your original setup. Let me know how it goes or if you run into problems.

John
    Alright so I just managed to get around to trying this. I made 4o GN drive the primary, installed windows and verified it was working, switched it back to the Secondary master position, and tried running it from the GRUB boot loader. I received the same message as I did before this recent mess. That is, it brought up that screen where you can select to boot in Safe Mode.

I'm wondering, does it matter whether the drive is in the Secondary Master or Primary Slave position?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelyDirge View Post
    Alright so I just managed to get around to trying this. I made 4o GN drive the primary, installed windows and verified it was working, switched it back to the Secondary master position, and tried running it from the GRUB boot loader. I received the same message as I did before this recent mess. That is, it brought up that screen where you can select to boot in Safe Mode.

I'm wondering, does it matter whether the drive is in the Secondary Master or Primary Slave position?
    I would try putting the drive in the Primary Slave position and see what difference that makes about booting Windows from Grub. Also, what is your current Grub entry for Windows? Is it the same as from your post #8 and post #9?

Beans

Code:
    title		Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    root		(hd1,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    map		(hd0) (hd1)
    map		(hd1) (hd0)
    chainloader	+1
    So yes, the Grub entry is the same as before.

Beans

It works now! I'm happy but incredibly confused. I did as you said and made the 4o GB drive the Primary slave and it worked. I have no idea why but it did. Thank you very much caljohnsmith. And thank you everyone else who helped as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123