Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small Light Programs Better

Beans

Small Light Programs Better

Maybe I'm old-fashioned or just old. It seems to me small, efficient programs are better than big conglomerate programs that include everything but the kitchen sink. They run better and faster and they don't have a gagillion options I'll never use in my life. The same for desktop or window managers. For instance I like:

Audacious vs Rhythmbox/Amarok/iTunes
    AbiWord vs Libre/Word
    OpenBox vs Kde/Gnome/Unity/OSX/Windows

And so on.

Was just wondering how many of you feel that software went off the rails long ago with trying to include millions of "features" no one actually needs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Small Light Programs Better

I agree. That's why I use Lubuntu on my laptop and Xubuntu on my desktop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mooreted View Post
    Maybe I'm old-fashioned or just old. It seems to me small, efficient programs are better than big conglomerate programs that include everything but the kitchen sink. They run better and faster and they don't have a gagillion options I'll never use in my life. The same for desktop or window managers. For instance I like:

Audacious vs Rhythmbox/Amarok/iTunes
    AbiWord vs Libre/Word
    OpenBox vs Kde/Gnome/Unity/OSX/Windows

And so on.

Was just wondering how many of you feel that software went off the rails long ago with trying to include millions of "features" no one actually needs?
    +1 for your thoughts.
    More features == perhaps a bit more functionality (when present), some eye candy, but also TONS of additional bugs and more computing resources needed.

We've reached the point when (both in windows and linux) we need half a gig of ram (or more) to do exactly the same things we did a decade ago with 1/5 (1/10?) of that power.

WasMeHere is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

+1
    Have fun
    Olle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You got that right.
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+1 most of the time

I must use LibreOffice for presentations and writing handouts though (LibreOffice Maths formula handling is good and fast - yes I do know about LaTeX/TeX/Lyx). Gnumeric has nice graphs, Abiword is much better than it used to be but can't manage the layouts &c yet. I'm watching it though.

I like Firefox for the plugins (Zotero)

The rest is lightish

mtpaint can do the things I need to do to photographs in place of GIMP on the netbook

MOC is just a nice console music player period. I use that on all my linux computers.

Beans

I would not say they are generally better as thats subjective to the user. Give me GIMP over MSPaint any day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Naiki Muliaina View Post
    I would not say they are generally better as thats subjective to the user. Give me GIMP over MSPaint any day.
    He said mtpaint, not mspaint.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@KeithPeter - what he said!

Sometimes on very lightweight hardware I find that Midori is the only browser option due to shortage of RAM. But even then, loading todays web pages can eat RAM up bigtime.
    RM Tablet Bodhi 1.4 & XP. Sempron d/top SuSE, Ubu 1004. AMD 244 d/top Ubu 1004 & Bodhi. Acer 5684 Ubu 1004 . Acer 4315 Ubu 1004 & Bodhi. Plus KNOPPIX & Puppy Live - & Bodhi Linux everywhere else

Beans

For every task that I have I have a minimal number of features that I need to be efficient. Anything over that is bloat.

The problem is that people have different needs. What works for one person is not enough for another, a huge program would potentially serve more people.

Linux has so much diversity and many people are not taking advantage of it. At one point I was using 5 - 6 distros with all sorts of DE in any possible configuration. I settled at Gentoo + XFCE, but I do use a number of Gnome apps like evince and sometimes Gnome Mplayer.

I think people should do the same, try a whole bunch of stuff and see what works the best. Don't always settle for the defaults.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast