Thread: where is the top bar

Beans

where is the top bar

I was messing around and found "Ubuntu 22.04: How to Show the System Monitor Top Bar" I opened this up and was told to open "settings/appearance/top bar". I went to settings/appearance and, no "top bar"! I searched and searched, still, no top bar. I have always thought that the top bar was the top bar (mine is black and holds things like applicfations places, what I am doing temperature, date, time, and a bunch of extensions.

It was suggesting that here is where the system monitor. Mine is in an extension called: system-monitor-next and works good after a bit of messing around.

Anyway, is there another top bar? If so how, and why, does one do stuff with it?

Thank you...............
    Last edited by jgw; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:32 PM.
    Memory: 16gb
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU
    Graphics: NVC1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: where is the top bar

Open "Activities" in top bar .. type System .. you see System Monitor .. click to open.

Another approach is to use [Alt+F2] .. to open apps.

Beans

Thank you for the reply......

I have no 'Activities" in my top bar. I think I listed everything that there was up there. Then I went to enter a command which I sometimes use. Nope, nuth'n there either. Oh, well..... Really don't need it and, for me, no such thing.

I did a search and there are several ways to display a system monitor, however. All that being said I am happy with what I have.

Thanks again!!

Thank you for your help!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Final idea. Install app Stacer for monitoring.

Beans

Thank you for the reply.......

There are several programs to do the job. I, however, have been using an extension monitor that works well for me and offers more than I need. I asked the original question because I had no idea of what they were talking about and still don't. I thought/think it was a joke, starting with the top line in settings but I could be wrong.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have no experience with the Gnome extension you use.

Beans

That's because they stopped offering it. It offers quite a bit of stuff. You can find it in the old list. The name is:
    system-monitor-next. Its also listed in my existing extensions. I just tried to find it to install and failed so the trick is to find it. The next trick is to go to it and then check the remarks. There is a suggestion of what to do if there is a problem in the remarks. skip the problem and do it before you install and its fine. It will show the following: cpu, freq, memory, swap, net, disk, gpu, thermal, fan, and battery. You can show what you want, the size of the graph, etc. Never figured out why they abandoned it. I have been using it for quite a long time now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You might experiment with gkrellm series .. you will need to search "gkrellm" in Synaptic Package Manager to see all the plugins available. Or start with installing gkrellm and gkrellmd via terminal. Shows the parameters you list.

Beans

That's because they stopped offering it. It offers quite a bit of stuff. You can find it in the old list. The name is:
    system-monitor-next.
    It's installable from the Extension Manager. See image attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images