Thread: SSO login brought me to a newly created forum account

Beans

SSO login brought me to a newly created forum account

Its been many years since Ive been away from the Ubuntu community and since recently coming back to using Ubuntu on my main driver, I decided to log into my launchpad account to report some bugs, as I accustomed doing.

I noticed there was a new to me Ubuntu One sign in. I distinctly recall not signing up with that service, so I attempted to register, only to be informed that my email was already being used and directed to recuperate my profile. I succeeded in the ordeal, and there isn't an issue with my launchpad account, but this isn't my old profile on the forums, as it shows I just registered but in actuality I originally joined the forum in 2004 and launchpad years afterwards.

My old forum profile is still up. It's https://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=3545

I never intended nor asked for my launchpad account to be associated with this new forum profile. I'd like to disassociate the two and in place use my old forum profile, that is to say, I'd like to access my old forum profile/account along with my existing lauchpad account.

I'd like to add that this is not an issue of using the wrong or different email, as the one registered with launchpad is the one Ive always used, at least since before I started with Linux, and that's a long time because I started using Linux before Ubuntu even existed and was an early adopter of Ubuntu. I actually ran Warty Worthog.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: SSO login brought me to a newly created forum account

Your email's are different as the old one has a .CA from 2004.
    And it does not show any use since 2013. Posts that old are probably all closed as obsolete. And it may have been that long ago that we had the issue & had to convert to use SSO.

And technically any name not used for that long could be assigned to someone else.
    You have to confirm that you know old email account.
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2164369

I have tried a few times to change, and have had issues that an admin ended up having to resolve.
    But if you PM me your old email, I can try again.
    We have no control over the SSO other than we link to it to create accounts.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you for your prompt response.

I'm not sure what you mean by .CA? That it ended in .CA?

Well, if there was another email, that might be my old school email that may have ended in .ca, but that was shutdown upon graduating, after which I was given a lifetime one which did not end in .ca. It was was unreliable and eventually shutdown, too. Yep, I just tried sending myself an email to my alumni account and I get an address could not be found or unable to receive mail message. I may be able to convince the alumni staff to reactivate it but it didn't end in .ca, so I'm not sure it'd be of any help anyway.

As for someone taking my old alias/username to my old profile, you yourself say there's been no activity since 2013, so it's doubtful it's taken.

I'm not sure of the relevance of "the issue" & having "to convert to use SSO", or it's impact if any on regaining my profile.

Im not sure what relevance my old posts being "closed as obsolete" have. I have no interest in posting to those old threads or editing my posts contained therein. So I'm not asking for frozen threads to be opened just for me. I just want to be able to post to new threads using my old profile.

You can verify I'm the same person by looking at the personal blog mentioned on my signature on some of the posts written from the old profile. As in here, <https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1412252&highlight=chascon>.

I've neglected my blog mentioned in the old profile signatures, but I still retain sign-in access to it. Perhaps you can ask me via a private message to post something on the blog and ill do it to prove Im the same individual? Does that work for you?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Did SSO or did you inadvertently change username from chascon to chascone when attempting to return to the forum?

Normally in this situation a numerical digit is added not an extra letter, in your case the extra e.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Email address does look like it is from a University.
    And the name has not been reassigned as near as I can tell.
    There is no openID assigned to old account.
    We require you to know old email, so we know it is you

Anyone can look at old posts, that is why we ask you to PM your old email for verification.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Email address does look like it is from a University.
    Yes, as I said its a school account, that has been deactivated.

And the name has not been reassigned as near as I can tell.
    That's great to hear!

There is no openID assigned to old account.
    We require you to know old email, so we know it is you
    wow, an email from 20 years ago? Off the top of my head I think i know it but I'd want to check, as I dont want to get it wrong. I went to two universities, 3 if you consider college, so there's that complication but I think i know which one it is. How did you want me to go about revealing my old student email?

Anyone can look at old posts, that is why we ask you to PM your old email for verification.
    Yes, but NOT anyone has access to the blog listed to my old profile. The ability of a random person to read my old posts doesn't give them ownership to the blog listed in the signature to the profile in question. That's what I got at in my previous response to you. You can verify I'm the same person as in the old profile because I posses and control the same blog as that detailed in the old profile.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What assurance would we have that it is your blog? Anyone could read your posts, point to the blog and say they own it. Anyone can post the URL to any profile.

If you remember a portion of the email address (if not the whole thing, then a partial portion enough to be more than random), please PM that to oldfred. Do not post it here in the open.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

You're missing the point. The blog linked isn't just pointed out in any arbitrary text. It's the signature. A signature identifies a person's identity. That sort of hyper scepticism would question a man's written signature, by asking, "How do I know you're the person that your signature says you are? You could have forged it".

Reasoning aside let's look at what the old "chascon" profile comments at <https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1493587&page=3&p=10215226#post102 15226>.

"Don't apologize AcidMoon. I happen to think you're right, I did write the best two articles/HowTos on ufw on the net, at least at the time ;"

"My first firewall HowTo is basically ufw for dummies, so if you're worried about screwing things up there's that. Otherwise there's gufw --but don't get me started on gui utilities.

http://mauroandres.wordpress.com/200...th-ufw-part-i/
    http://mauroandres.wordpress.com/201...h-ufw-part-ii/"

That there shows that "chascon" declaring he owns the very same blog quoted in his signature, or at least authored two articles therein but considering the blog is personal and has ever only had one author, any protests are mute. Therefore, is there no doubt as to what I've been saying; "chascon" owns the blog in his signature, and upon corroboration with myself could show that I, launchpad "chascone" and the forum "chascon" are the very same. But if you're biased on that, let's leave that aside, because the issue is whether my launchpad account, "chascone" corresponds to my old "chascon" forum account, correct?

First off, I've previously mentioned that although my launchpad Id (username) is "chascone", the name that pops up in my launchpad profile on the top left corner is my display name "Chascon", without the objected to "e" but with a capital "C" admittedly. You should be able to confirm that.

Second and this directly goes to how you verify that the old forum "chascon" username and the launchpad "chascone" Id belong to the very same person ... comments made by the old forum profile "chascon" explicitly say so. I'll give you two examples to prove this.

At <https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1714436&p=11423478#post11423478> and <https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1822904&p=11423482#post11423482> "chascon" comments on the forums that HE personally authored a bug report at launchpad.

"I've reported the issue as a bug at
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...up/+bug/881222
    but it hasn't gotten any attention.

Your input on the bug report would be appreciated, if only to confirm that it is a valid issue. Hopefully, this bug can get the attention it needs to get fixed."

If you go to the mentioned launchpad bug report at <https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-control-center/+bug/881222> you'll see the following somewhere near the top left corner.

"Bug #881222 reported by Chascon on 2011-10-25"

You see, the old forum profile "chascon" reports bugs as "Chascon" at launchpad, with the capital "C", which corresponds to the launchpad Id "chascone". To eliminate doubt as to the "Chascon" launchpad display name and "chascone" launchpad Id or username being the same, if you click on "Chascon" following "Bug #881222 reported by" you'll be brought to <https://launchpad.net/~chascone> where you can indeed see in the URL that 1) launchpad "Chascon" is the very same launchpad "chascone", and 2) that the launchpad "chascone" is indeed the forum "chascon", as the latter reports launchpad bugs as the earlier.

I think Ive proven beyond a doubt that the forum "chascon" owns the blog, and more importantly that he is the launchpad "chascone"/"Chascon". Or rather to put it another way, that I, the launchpad "chascone"/"Chascon" own the forum "chascon" profile.

Hope this helps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have to congratulate you on posting 8 so-called links, 3 of which are dead, giving “page not found” messages, and with 6 you have managed to destroy the forum software’s ability to automatically create hyperlinks, so that a reader of your post has to carefully copy the text of the URL and then paste it into another browser tab.

(As an aside – if you simply paste an URL into your post, the forum software will automatically insert the appropriate BBCode in order to make it a hyperlink. If you add superfluous characters, such as you have done, you don’t get a hyperlink.) (As an another aside, if you think that 6 + 3 is not equal to 8, you would be right, However, with one of the URLs, you have both flummoxed the forum software and posted a dead one.)

However, that is all moot. If you expect me or any other member of staff to waste their valuable and freely-volunteered time in following your trail of so-called evidence, particularly with all the barriers you have erected with your faulty links, then you are mistaken. Other members in your situation, those that have an old account but who cannot recall the precise email registered to it, simply send us a short list of email addresses that they had in use at that time. If one matches, then you have proven your ownership of the old account. If you cannot find a record of email addresses that you had in use at the time the older account was in use, then we cannot help you.
    Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.