Thread: How I got Guild Wars working in Wine 0.9.23

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: How I got Guild Wars working in Wine 0.9.23

Quote Originally Posted by ensoriki View Post
    Wtf is that?
    It's called a bug.

GW is known to screw up it's permissions on Gw.dat . A workaround consists in
    Code:
    sudo chown -R root:root ~/.wine/Program Files/GUILD WARS/*
    Code:
    sudo chmod -R 0777 ~/.wine/Program Files/GUILD WARS/*
    Provided you installed Guild Wars with defaults, under ~/.wine/, it will change the permissions to writable and will remove Wine's capacity to change the permissions.

@wuild:
    Yes, there is a strong chance that it's Wine that's messing up with your game. Check your version by typing in a console:
    Code:
    wine --version
    I had best results using the 0.9.5x series of Wine.
    Also, which graphics card brand do you have?
    Restons Infidèles, Absurde Adversité

Beans

@karth: Well i have a Ati Radeon 9800 pro. but i dont know how to install it. i installed Envy but when i install the ati drivers. its like ******* up.
    linux is saying that its running on low grahpic settings. and when i try to change it says the same. and max resolution is 800x600
    and im useing 1600x900 atm and if i change my screen settings its going crazy and its like war of the ants and i cant change back. only way is to reinstall linux
    xD and i need some seriously help
    Last edited by wuild; January 21st, 2008 at 02:53 PM.

Beans

Anyways I got pass my error before.

Now what I believe to be the final problem.

Im running a ATI Radeon HD 2400 installed with envy, on gutsy and when I run GW.
    it tells me it has come across an unrecoverable graphics error.

The driver seems to be working since I can open ATI catalyst, yet GW says it can't detect my graphics card or whatever.

Really annoying now.

Beans

Guild Wars on ATI graphic works really bad. I tried Radeon 9600pro and Geeforce 4 and Geeforce 4 works much better, but in reality is worse than radeon. Worse drivers for ATI don't work properly with GW.
    Last edited by syczu; February 5th, 2008 at 11:26 PM.

Beans

Under what Windows version in winecfg should I run GW? Or does it matter at all?

Beans

@Melhisedek: It is starting to matter less and less, but I usually have the best luck running in Win98 mode. Although recently for a week I had it set to WinXP without noticing at all until I poked at winecfg for another program.

Beans

Do you guys all run GW with -dx8 flag? Anyone running with good results without it and what graphics card do you have?

Beans
    Hidden!

I run mine as win98 so I think that automatically makes it run dx8, I get 60fps in windowed mode stretched to fill the screen (1440x900) with 'wait for vertical sync ' on, it drops to around 20fps in large towns with lots of players.

thats with wine 0.9.46, and the -dsound switch thing.
    Intel Duo E6600 2.40, Nvidia 9800 GTX+, 4GIG DDRII, Creative Audigy 2ZS, Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, Single Parent, two small children, Kettle, Toaster, Non Functioning Microwave.

Latest Desktop

Beans

I have same card as you but weaker CPU mine is Opteron 165 @ 2.6 GHz. And I'm nowhere near those numbers. I get at most 35 FPS when I'm on a mission, in towns I get somewhere around 10-20 fps.
    What does -dsound flag do? I've tried it but didn't notice any difference to be honest

Beans
    Hidden!

err.. I don't actually know what -dsound does : ) I suspect something to do with direct sound something or other... I dunno.. I have recently found and use a program called 'PlayOnLinux' ..and that put it there.

turn down antialiasing and anisotropic filtering, mine are 4xbiliniar and 4x respectfully... it seems to run better windowed too.

My card is the BFG 8800 GTS OC but I wouldn't think the OC actually makes that much difference other than to price.
    Intel Duo E6600 2.40, Nvidia 9800 GTX+, 4GIG DDRII, Creative Audigy 2ZS, Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3, Single Parent, two small children, Kettle, Toaster, Non Functioning Microwave.

Latest Desktop

Page 81 of 91 FirstFirst ... 31717980818283 ... LastLast