Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] HowTo set up EVDO card or usb enabled phone(CDMA)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Arrow Re: [SOLVED] HowTo set up EVDO card or usb enabled phone(CDMA)

Quote Originally Posted by bigcat40 View Post
    I new to Linux and trying to set-up my Verizon 5700 card on a Dell e1505 with Gutsy. I started from the beginning of the how to and my card is still not being recognized. From reading the posts it seems that the kernel still doesn't recognize the card.When I run Dmesg after taking out the card I get this line:

[ 988.228000] usb 1-2: USB disconnect, address 7

When I insert the card I get:
    [ 1021.984000] usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 8
    [ 1022.140000] usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

I never see anything about TTY. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
    Which connection method do you use?
    Are you using same connection interface for both machines ( PCMCI , USB , etc... ) ?
    Are both machines laptops ?
    Have they ever been working with Feisty ?

And this are sites with earlier requested help for intel wireless issues.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...12&postcount=2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=603154
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...68&postcount=4
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...8&postcount=12
    Last edited by Mach1US; October 20th, 2008 at 07:53 PM.
    Dell power edge 710 64bit - Dual 6 Core Xeons -64Gig ram:64bit-10.04-LTSLatitude E6400, Intel chipset, intel integrated graphics , Iw-3945ABG-Pro-miniPCI , UM150 EVDO , Orinoco-Gold-Pcmci , 14.1-WXGA+ ,10.04-64bit.Gnome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Arrow Re: [SOLVED] HowTo set up EVDO card or usb enabled phone(CDMA)

Since USBSERIAL is part of default driver package included in Ubuntu i never needed and i haven't worked with a Franklin's ( http://www.fklt.com/support.php ) driver so i'm not sure how it handles the device .
    It appears when I run the Linux driver.
    At the laptop the CDU always appears as scsi0 and sda.
    sda is an identifier for your Hard Drive , it is not your Wireless Device .
    [ 2161.009087] usb 2-1: USB disconnect, address 2
    [ 2161.329429] scsi 2:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
    [ 2219.599287] usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
    [ 2219.765331] usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    Seeing this indicates USB device probem which can be either software or hardware.
    To make sure it isn't conflicting with the evdo device disconnect all non essential peripherals ( ideally everything except KVM )
    and then tested again to isolate the problem.
    Additionally try it with LIVE CD as this will eliminate any misconfigurations of the installation itself .
    If it is a installation problem and you are not comfortable with recompiling the kernel or at least patching it probably the easiest and quickest will be a fresh install .
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mach1US; November 9th, 2007 at 04:13 PM.
    Dell power edge 710 64bit - Dual 6 Core Xeons -64Gig ram:64bit-10.04-LTSLatitude E6400, Intel chipset, intel integrated graphics , Iw-3945ABG-Pro-miniPCI , UM150 EVDO , Orinoco-Gold-Pcmci , 14.1-WXGA+ ,10.04-64bit.Gnome

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] HowTo set up EVDO card or usb enabled phone(CDMA)

I have a Dell Wireless 5700 built-in mini card for Verizon in my Dell Laptop. I can setup the connection just fine, but any time I restart my system, the usbserial module does not start again. I can run the "sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x413c product=0x8114" command to get it to work again, but it is there any way to get the usbserial mod to start automaticly?

I ahve tried adding "usbserial vendor=0x413c product=0x8114" to the /etc/modules, which will succesfully start usbserial at startup, but it does not open the serial ports on the card, so ttyUSB0 is not available.

Any help would be great.

Beans

Smile Re: [SOLVED] HowTo set up EVDO card or usb enabled phone(CDMA)

I got this working with gusty and my Samsung i760 (WM6) phone, after i did the
    "Gutsy changed USB handling so to re enable /proc/bus/usb/devices directory " , i rebooted and everything worked by default only changing the phone#@vzw. I also pay the 15month for the tethering plan.

thanks again, this script is awesome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I had a similar experience to vmosorio. I connect to AT&T with a Razr V3 using wvdial. When I upgraded to Gutsy from Feisty it stopped working with error 16 (timeout).

As vmosorio found, it works after I changed the line of wvdial to be *99***1# instead of *99***3#. (With Feisty both worked.)

Also I discovered that with when I first used the new number (*99***1#) I was able to connect, but still nothing happened when I tried Firefox. I had to reboot, and then everything worked swimmingly. This is a new behaviour with Gutsy, with Feisty I never had to reboot.

Hope this helps!! (and thanks vmosorio!)

Bill

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by srbeards View Post
    I have a Dell Wireless 5700 built-in mini card for Verizon in my Dell Laptop. I can setup the connection just fine, but any time I restart my system, the usbserial module does not start again. I can run the "sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x413c product=0x8114" command to get it to work again, but it is there any way to get the usbserial mod to start automaticly?

I ahve tried adding "usbserial vendor=0x413c product=0x8114" to the /etc/modules, which will succesfully start usbserial at startup, but it does not open the serial ports on the card, so ttyUSB0 is not available.

Any help would be great.
    Try loading it as a session command after all essentials are loaded .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by srbeards View Post

Any help would be great.
    I have a Dell5700 in an XPS1210, I have "usbserial vendor=..." in my /etc/modules file and my card loads at start up. Did you blacklist the airprime driver? I wonder if that could interfere
    Last edited by jimbojones; November 13th, 2007 at 08:13 PM.

Beans

If you have a HTC Mogul/6800 or HTC Touch/6900, here is how i got them to work as a modem with ubuntu. Sadly I did not go with tether via wire. But i was able to do it via a bluetooth connection. I wrote a pdf file which gives step by step instructions on how to do it. I wrote the pdf for work but figure it will be more useful here.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by scorpio_digit View Post
    I'm using a Razr v3m with Verizon. I had this working in XP. Here's the output:
    root@nicole:/# wvdial
    --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.56
    --> Cannot get information for serial port.
    --> Initializing modem.
    --> Sending: ATZ
    ATZ
    OK
    --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    OK
    --> Modem initialized.
    --> Sending: ATDT#777
    --> Waiting for carrier.
    ATDT#777
    CONNECT
    ~[7f]}#@!}!}!} }=}!}$}%\}"}&} } } } }#}%B#}%}%}&CpG.}'}"}(}"tP~
    --> Carrier detected. Starting PPP immediately.
    --> Starting pppd at Tue Oct 16 12:55:25 2007
    --> Pid of pppd: 7359
    --> Using interface ppp0
    --> pppd: H[06][06][08]p
    --> [06][08]
    --> [06][08]
    --> [06][08]
    --> [06][08]
    --> [06][08]
    --> Disconnecting at Tue Oct 16 12:55:28 2007
    --> The PPP daemon has died: Authentication error.
    --> We failed to authenticate ourselves to the peer.
    --> Maybe bad account or password? (exit code = 19)
    --> man pppd explains pppd error codes in more detail.
    --> I guess that's it for now, exiting
    --> The PPP daemon has died. (exit code = 19)
    And here's the wvdial.conf file:
    [Dialer Defaults]
    Stupid Mode = on
    Modem = /dev/ttyACM0
    Baud = 921600
    Init = ATZ
    Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
    Phone = #777
    Username = **********@vzw3g.com
    Password = vzw
    Init1 = ATZ
    ISDN = 0
    Modem Type = Analog Modem
    Auto Reconnect = on
    Carrier Check = no
    [Dialer shh]
    Init3 = ATM0
    [Dialer pulse]
    Dial Command = ATDP
    I have the same phone with Verizon service. I looked up the USB information like the product ID and port using the Hardware Information under System Preferences after plugging in my phone (It shows up as Motorola V3c, check the advanced tab). I followed the directions on www.hacktherazr.com to disable EVDO and setup dial up networking. I was getting the same error about authenticating. I fixed it by just removing the "@vzw3g.com". Just use your phone number for the Username. I do not have a broadband access plan, my connection just uses minutes (see the website above) so watch out if you are during peak time. I suppose this is slower than EVDO but 1x is still fast enough for web surfing.
    Ubuntu on a System 76 Gazelle 12" Value Notebook, Pentium M 740, 1 GB RAM

Beans

I just want to mention that a reboot after modifying gedits may help. I don't know if it goes w/out saying but thats what solved any issues I had. Also fyi, this setup with pc5750 had no negative effects on internet sharing via ethernet and firestarter. Just thought Id let everyone know. YAY!

Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast