Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: [HowTo]: Fix suspend and hibernate on laptops

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: [HowTo]: Fix suspend and hibernate on laptops

s2disk works well on my work nw8440 and the system no longer hangs after resume.

So far s2ram does not work, but I haven't tried all the settings yet (-a 1, -p etc.)

teasum is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecircle View Post
    First, backup your original files:

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux.bak

sudo cp /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-suspend-linux /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-hibernate-linux.bak
    I think there's an important error in the second 'cp' command. It should be

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-hibernate-linux /usr/lib/hal/scripts/linux/hal-system-power-hibernate-linux.bak
    I noticed this because I wanted to restore my files, but both backup files have the suspend script in them. So, now I can't restore the original hibernate script. All in all, it's cool, because I finally got s2disk to work (blacklisting the 'intel_agp' module did it, I believe), so I guess I wont be needing the original hibernate script after all. Still, perhaps the original post could be changed.

Thanks!
    Last edited by teasum; June 24th, 2007 at 06:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Oops, I'll fix that.

Beans

Ok so my Thinkpad T41 under feisty goes to sleep and hibernates using s2ram and s2disk but waking it up is another story. With s2ram, I get a bunch of I/O disk errors (I think its talking about not being able to mount the disk again) and with s2disk, it just boots normally and doesn't restore my session. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by thrillhouse View Post
    Ok so my Thinkpad T41 under feisty goes to sleep and hibernates using s2ram and s2disk but waking it up is another story. With s2ram, I get a bunch of I/O disk errors (I think its talking about not being able to mount the disk again) and with s2disk, it just boots normally and doesn't restore my session. Any ideas?
    There's a file somewhere with a bunch of system options configuring this stuff, but I can't find it right now. I'll try to find it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Confirming this DOES work on Fiesty 7.04 and an Acer 5100.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

i tried this on my hp dv2315nr, and it seems to work great, until i wake up the computer, and it goes to a completely black screen with a mouse cursor. i have tried typing my name/ password to get it back to a workable condition, but nothing works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

i switched to a VT and i get the same errors i would get if i tried the kernel method: rejecting I/O to dead device. Im running this on an nforce 430 sata notebook, could that be part of the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Neato - I've had problems with suspend/resume on every Ubuntu install I've tried on my Thinkpad T40. This seems to make it work but it throws this error on resume:

kernel: [ 4282.952000] journal commit I/O error

Note that even though the error appears it doesn't seem to affect the functionality of the system in any way .. just keeps piping along happy as can be. Also, this is with the 2.6.20-16-lowlatency kernel thats part of Ubuntu Studio.

Thanks for the tip!
    Rafe Magnuson (aka HeavyAl)
    http://www.magnusontech.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyAl View Post
    Note that even though the error appears it doesn't seem to affect the functionality of the system in any way ..
    D'oh!!! I take that part back - all my icon's suddenly started freaking out and I had to do a hard reboot. Ok .. hrmm .. there must be some options that need tweaking ...
    Rafe Magnuson (aka HeavyAl)
    http://www.magnusontech.net

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast