Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SPSS 16 for Linux + Hardy... it works

Beans

SPSS 16 for Linux + Hardy... it works

I just wanted to let anyone interested know that SPSS 16 for linux does work. At first impression everything works fine though the processing of analyses seems somewhat slower than on windows (same machine).

There were a few quirks I had to deal with to get it all going.

The installer is Java based and there currently is a bug that appears to cause a lot of Java based stuff to fail on Hardy. To be able to run the Java based installer run the following command:

Code:
    export LIBXCB_ALLOW_SLOPPY_LOCK=true
    As far as I can see this only needs to be done once before running the installer and not thereafter to run the program.

Apparently SPSS also doesn't like compiz. It will run fine if you turn off compiz but with compiz on it doesn't display properly. There is a workaround for this... you need to edit \SPSS16\bin\spss and enter the following code after the "#!/bin/sh" line:

Code:
    export AWT_TOOLKIT="MToolkit"
    Don't ask me what that does I didn't come up with it myself.

You can then create a launcher that will launch SPSS by using the command to \SPSS16\bin\spss rather than "SPSS" (in caps which is the regular launcher).

There you have it. I didnt come up with any of this myself but I pieced it together from random searches. (i.e. this french ubuntu forum http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1534272)

To: Mods... is this the right forum section for this?

Hope this helps a few of you.

As far as I know there are no Java based problems in 7.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: SPSS 16 for Linux + Hardy... it works

Now that is really interesting. Thanks for posting this.
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.

Beans

Thanks,

Using it right now actually. SPSS was my last hold out to making the switch to linux complete and at this moment I'm in a position to give it a serious attempt for the first time.

Beans

OK... over the past few days I've noticed odd behaviour someone might have insight in. It seems that in the output viewer whenever SPSS renders tables it peaks CPU usage. Makes it a bit harder to use when lots of scrolling is required. I don't have the know how to tell if this is due to Hardy strangeness, oddness in some libraries/dependencies, or if it's just buggy because this is the initial SPSS on linux release with a GUI...

I'm fairly certain it's the latter but if it's one of the former it would be great to be able to fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My department has volume licenses for SPSS for Windows. Does anybody know if I could get SPSS for Linux under the same license, or would the department have needed to purchase the Linux version?

Beans

I dont know... that's stuff I never have to deal with. Usually though the companies sell licenses separately for a reason so I doubt you;d have much luck. If you have access to the actual license numbers you could try and snag one of the copies of SPSS for linux floating around online... It's possible they'll be valid and your use of the software would at least be semi-legit. Either way you can install it without a license to run a 14 day trial, that'd be good to see if/how well you can run it... better off anyway before getting your dept. to possibly invest in a new license.

Also, I've noticed that the issues I've been having re: CPU loads with tables are definitely worse when I have more and bigger tables, but that also seems to be the case when I've got lots of tables in OO Writer. I have no idea if the problems are even remotely related. Perhaps both programs are calling on a common library to render tables that could use some optimization... any thoughts?

Beans

@tekDragon: thanks a lot!

Works great!

I am using hardy and compiz and now I have SPSS working )
    Last edited by dilney; March 28th, 2008 at 11:26 AM.

Beans

Hello everybody,

I'm a "beginner" user of ubuntu 7.10 (Gusty) but I've already realize that I feel better without Microsoft. In the past days I've tried to move all of my work activities to the new system but I'm still having problem with SPSS.
    I've SPSS 16.0 version for Linux but I cannot install it 'cos the installation procedure blocks.
    After the " Launching InstallShield Wizard" message in the terminal the new installer window is completely blank.
    Any idea why? Java packages missing?
    Thanks a lot for your help

Marco
    Last edited by mtelespalla; April 3rd, 2008 at 11:02 PM.

Beans

I have this same problem also running Gutsy. Any thoughts anyone

Beans

Well I remember it took a while after launching installation before anything happened for me. Honestly consider waiting 3-5 mins before giving up on it. Beyond that I'm just a user so I'm really no help.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast