Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: SPSS 16 for Linux + Hardy... it works

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: SPSS 16 for Linux + Hardy... it works

Quote Originally Posted by abhitux View Post
    I am still wondering...where to download SPSS 17 for Ubuntu. Any download links please? I have SPSS version 16 but then why go through all the hassle of having this installed in the first place?
    Any help would be more than welcome. Thanks in advance.
    It seems that SPSS 17 isn't available for Linux, but I'm not sure about that. Now SPSS is a part of IBM and they released SPSS 18 that works with Windows, Mac and Linux.

By the way, is it just me or it looks like the new SPSS-IBM is moving closer to business and is slowly quitting academia?

Beans

Just tried to install spss 16 on my 64bit dualcore and did:
    export LIBXCB_ALLOW_SLOPPY_LOCK=true

It still hangs on the install shield wizard though, the window comes up but remains grey and nothing more happens.

Any tips?

And yes, I also got the feeling that IBM is changing focus towards the business end.

Hopefully PSPP will pick up speed.
    I sorely need correlation functions like pearsons rho and spearmans correlation coefficient. There doesnt seem to be an option to contribute money to the project, (at least not on http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/) which I would be more than happy to do if it would help speed things up a bit.

Beans

I have managed to install SPSS 16 for Linux on Ubuntu 10.04.

Before install:
    Turn off Compiz

Installation
    I used the "silent install options" for installation due to the troubles I encountered with the Auth. Wizard and my aim is to shortly recapitulate what I did.

1. Put in your CD or mount your iso-image.

2. Read the "SilentInstallOptions"-file in the root of the disk IOT understand the upcoming steps.

3. Create a file with your favorite editor and add the following information:

Code:
    -V AUTHCODE="[your authentication code]"
    -V ISX_SERIALNUM="[your serial number]"
    Save the file and remember the path and filename.

4. Open up terminal and type:
    Code:
    export LIBXCB_ALLOW_SLOPPY_LOCK=true
    (not sure if this is necessary but the computer stalled during installation when I skipped this step)

5. In terminal, navigate to root of SPSS-disk and execute the install using the following command:
    Code:
    sudo./setup.bin -silent -options "/PATHTOFILE/FILENAME"
    This will execute the single user install in silent mode and it will install SPSS to the /opt-directory.

6. When the install is finished (the terminal-prompt has returned) we have to authenticate our install through SPSS-website or their local office. In order to do this we need to give them our lock-code for this specific install on this specific computer.
    The lock-code can be retrieved by navigating to the directory in which SPSS was installed (look in /opt/), enter the ./bin-directory, and execute the file "echoid".
    Code:
    /opt/SPSSInc/SPSS16/bin$ sudo ./echoid
    The output is your lock-code.

7. Contact your local SPSS-representative and give them your lock-code, you will the retrive an activation-code for your install.

8. Navigate to your SPSS/bin-directory and execute the file "spssactivator" followed by the activation code.
    Code:
    /opt/SPSSInc/SPSS16/bin$ sudo ./spssactivator ACTIVATIONCODEWITHALOTOFNUMBERSANDLETTERS#
    9. Launch your activated version of SPSS 16 for LINUX by executing the "spss"-file in your SPSS/bin-directory.
    Code:
    /opt/SPSSInc/SPSS16/bin$ sudo ./spss

I need to keep Compiz turned off when using SPSS, otherwise it stalls the computer.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456