Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Set up a Nintendo DS development (devkitPRO/PAlib) environment

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

HOWTO: Set up a Nintendo DS development (devkitARM/PAlib/uLibrary) environment

IMPORTANT: THIS HOWTO IS OUT OF DATE. IT IS BEING KEPT FOR ARCHIVAL PURPOSES ONLY.

For the up-to-date howto and script, click here.

Special thanks to ndsgr, this HOWTO is adapted from his (http://blog.dev-scene.com/ndsgr/devk...in-ubuntu-edgy)

This HOWTO is for:
    -Those who want to quickly install the build tools and libraries necessary to begin Nintendo DS homebrew development.

This HOWTO is not for:
    -Those who want to quickly install the build tools and libraries necessary to begin Wii homebrew development.
    -Those who want to learn how to set up a particular IDE for DS development (if you know of any such guide, please let me know about it!).

While there are a few decent guides for developing DS homebrew software with Linux out there, few make the installation process simple so you can just get to the fun stuff. I've written a script and this short HOWTO to get you started quickly.

The script will download and install the following into a directory called "devkitpro" in your home directory:

With the use of my script, the installation process should be relatively painless. Emphasis on should.
    When it isn't, please report the errors/problems/annoyances to me via email (see the top of attached script for my email address).
    The script generates a log file with the name "devkitpro-install.log" in the current directory; please send me this file if you encounter any problems.

Requirements
    Some packages you may not already have will be required (let me know if you discover that I'm missing something):
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install wine p7zip unzip unrar
    --

If you are updating or reinstalling devkitpro, I would recommend uninstalling before following these steps.

1) Download the attached script and make sure you can execute it:
    Code:
    $ chmod a+x devkitpro.sh
    2) Run the script:
    Code:
    $ ./devkitpro.sh
    If the script completes without any issues, you will see this text, followed by several other lines:
    Code:
    -> devkitPRO installed successfully!
    Again, in the event that this fails, email me the file "devkitpro-install.log" and a description of what happened, if possible.

3) Back up your original ~/.bashrc file:
    Code:
    $ cp ~/.bashrc ~/.bashrc.backup
    4) As the script will tell you once it has finished, add the lines to the end of your .bashrc file (be sure to back it up first):
    (NOTE: if you modify the script because you want to install the files somewhere other than ~/devkitpro, you should copy the lines from the script's output. Otherwise, the following default lines will suffice.)
    Code:
    export DEVKITPRO=/home/louman/devkitpro # change this to reflect your home directory
    export DEVKITARM=$DEVKITPRO/devkitARM
    export PAPATH=$DEVKITPRO/PAlib/lib
    export NOCASHGBA=$DEVKITPRO/nocashgba
    alias nds="wine $NOCASHGBA/NO\\\$GBA.EXE"
    5) Load these new settings like so:
    Code:
    $ source ~/.bashrc
    6) Compile an example DS program and run it with the emulator to see if everything is set up properly:
    Code:
    $ cd $DEVKITPRO/uLibrary/Examples/Example06
    $ make
    $ nds Example06.nds
    That's it! Now look through some of the libnds, uLibrary, and PAlib examples, and read some tutorials:

To Uninstall
    1) Remove the devkitPRO directory:
    Code:
    $ rm -r $DEVKITPRO
    2) Clean up downloaded files:
    Code:
    $ rm -r ~/.devkitpro_cache
    3) (Optional) Recover your original ~/.bashrc file
    Code:
    $ cp ~/.bashrc.backup ~/.bashrc
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by louman; June 9th, 2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Making note of new location of HOWTO on blog...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Set up a Nintendo DS development (devkitPRO/PAlib) environment

Its nice to see someone post a how-to for NDS development. One problem though: The script file you listed ends at a dead link. Any way you can fix it, or just list the contents/steps the script takes?
    My Desktop Setup (for the most part):
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ns/PCHoriz.png
    Ubuntu 8.04 AMD64

Beans
    Distro

Bah! I should have known. Sorry about that!
    The link is fixed (I moved home from school for the summer).
    I appreciate any feedback.

Beans

That was a great howto for a beginner (like me).

One thing that I noticed..in gutsy gibbon's synaptic I had 2 choices for 7zr (I hadn't had it installed yet) one ended with '.full' and the other not. Installing the non '.full' worked (either that or having both installed).

Thank you for your work!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the feedback; I've updated the guide accordingly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks a lot for the installing guide, it helped me out a lot since I've been looking for something like this for ages.

Just one question: What do you use for gfx and sfx? I've tried using the linux PAGfx and Audacity but I couldn't get the right results with either of them.
    Thanks in advance.
    Macbook 6.1, 4GB RAM, Core2Duo, and some other stuff's in there as well...

Beans
    Distro

Regarding graphics/sound:
    I actually haven't had much time to play with these tools, ironically. Try looking at some examples (located in $DEVKITPRO/libnds/examples, $DEVKITPRO/PAlibExamples and $DEVKITPRO/uLibrary/Examples) and open their data with the Gimp/Audacity to see the details of their format so you can save your files as that particular format later on.

Beans

Thanks, it worked great! And yes, it does work on hardy (you said it probably would but I just wanted to confirm it)

It's obvious to me that a good deal of care went into writing this guide so great work. I wish the internet was full of guides as helpful as this one.

btw, one little hiccup. The script installed no$gba in ~/devkitpro/nocashgba/ which caused an error when I tried to run the sample program. So all I did was change the directory's name to "no$gba." It's silly, but you may want to look into it.

OK, time for some fun...

Beans
    Distro

Again, thanks for the feedback; I appreciate your appreciation!

Yes, I changed it to "nocashgba" the last time I updated the script because there were a few problems outputting the proper escaped path name at the end of the script.
    I've updated the guide accordingly.

Tonight after work I'll probably be updating the script to include the latest versions of all the software packages it installs; chances are there are some updates by now.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks for this, I just picked up a DS & have been looking forward to messing around writing some code for it.

One thing though - the install script requires unrar along with 7zr and unzip, but it is not listed in your instructions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast