Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Install VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.04LTS (Hardy Heron) [Tutorial]

Beans

Re: How To: Install VirtualBox on Ubuntu 8.04LTS (Hardy Heron) [Tutorial]

thanks for ur answer, but i think u didnt fully understand what the problem is.. in my "/etc/udev/rules.d/40-basic-permissions.rules" there is no such line.
    and in virtualmachines configuration settings i can see all my usb devices but when i start my virtual machine in the menu devices--->Usb devices all my devices are there, but greyed out, untickable.
    by the way either in phone or file transfer mode ubuntu can "see" K800, oh and i think the tool is sony ericsson's Pc Suite(or not?)

Beans

thanks for ur answer, but i think u didnt fully understand what the problem is.. in my "/etc/udev/rules.d/40-basic-permissions.rules" there is no such line.
    and in virtualmachine's configuration settings i can see all my usb devices but when i start my virtual machine in the menu devices--->Usb devices all my devices are there, but greyed out, untickable.
    by the way either in phone or file transfer mode ubuntu can "see" K800, oh and i think the tool is sony ericsson's Pc Suite(or not?)

Beans

Apologies if I don't understand your question, but there are two things I need to do to get USB working in virtuabox, they are

IN terminal type
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
    Uncomment the last 4 lines above to look like this:
    #
    # Magic to make /proc/bus/usb work
    #
    mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

In terminal
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/fstab
    Append this to the fstab then save/exit:

## usbfs is the USB group in fstab file:
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=124,devmode=664 0 0

Then a reboot.

Beans

yes, i have done all of those... but silly me i found out that in my groups i had usbfs , but had unticked my name sorry for wasting ur time, well looks like problems fixed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello!
    I have instaled virtualbox2.0_2.0.2-36488_Ubuntu_hardy_amd64.deb, everything seems to be fine, and it works (i did not verify the USB yet) but when i try to install a 64 bit OS the OS setup process says that my CPU is 32 bit (CPU = AMD64 X2 3800+ ) and it can't be installed. How to fix this??

In the mean wile i find out what's the problem = VIRTUALBOX DOES NOT HAVE 64 BIT SUPPORT FOR GUEST OS !!! source:[url]http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=3941&postdays=0&postorder=asc&star t=0 - available for old version, version 2.0.2 that i use, it has 64 bit support if you check the box for Enable VT-x/AMD-V (but you don't want to know how slow became the guest, at least on my computer)

To bad... so as a solution i must keep both VMware(for testing other OS) and Virtualbox (for running XP with some stuff i need)
    Last edited by zoeken; September 22nd, 2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: wrong info

Beans

Many thanks for ubuntu master, i'm newbie in ubuntu...

Beans

well, i installed virtual box and it works fine. I'm just not sure what to do when it asks me "How do you want to partition your disk". I clicked on the guided option and it asks for username and pass, after entering which it gives me a warning and says i could loose data and the follwing are the partitions on which are going to be formated.
    partition#1 of scsi1 (0,0,0) (sda) as ext3
    partition#5 of scsi1 (0,0,0) (sda) as swap
    now i also created a 3rd partiton after all this using partition manager for ubuntu.
    What do i do if i want to install ubuntu on that partition? If that partition is not of any use then i can delete it. Now is it safe to click next where it lists the two partitions viz.
    partition#1 of scsi1 (0,0,0) (sda) as ext3
    partition#5 of scsi1 (0,0,0) (sda) as swap
    I just can bare to loose any data from my D Drive which is not the one on which Windows is installed.
    Please tell me if i can press Next and go further without harming my D Drive.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have Virtualbox ose installed on my system. It runs Windows XP and works well, but I think I'd like to give a try at the Sun Virtualbox because of its usb support and seamless mode. A couple of questions:

1.When I go to synaptic to uninstall Virtualbox ose, should I also uninstall all those Virtualbox ose modules listed?
    2.Assuming all goes well and I get the proprietary Virtualbox installed (famous last words), will I also have to reinstall XP in it? Or does the uninstall of the ose leave XP as a “leftover” that the new Virtualbox will automatically recognize?
    3.I'm running Hardy now. If I upgrade next month to Intrepid, will this new Virtualbox break?

Thanks, folks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Deleted my post
    Last edited by AgentZ86; October 3rd, 2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Started another thread

Beans

Just in case this helps someone else. I was having alot of trouble getting my USB devices to work in VirtualBox 2.0.2 on Hardy. I followed lots of threads including this one on how to get them to work.

I rebooted several times while trying to get them to work, but it wasn't until I powered down and back up that the USB devices began to work.

Don't know why, but that's what happened.

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast