Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help with nvidia after kernel upgrade to 2.6.24-17

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: help with nvidia after kernel upgrade to 2.6.24-17

Quote Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
    I will wait for some replies to the EnvyNG bug report I filed before purging it because EnvyNG doesn't have any configuration files or anything else that would change on a reinstall, afaik.
    Here is the reply I received from Alberto. I'm going to try it today.

Shut down the Xserver and uninstall the driver from NVIDIA's website
    since it can cause serious problems with system updates.

Maybe the new restricted modules are not available yet and this doesn't
    depend on me. If you want a kernel independent solution you can try my
    new packages (which I hope to upload soon in Ubuntu).

try this:

Add these to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/lrm-envy-hardy/ubuntu hardy main
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/lrm-envy-hardy/ubuntu hardy main

then type:
    sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new

(answer yes if it asks you to remove some packages).

Let me know how it goes.
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I installed 8.04 and used the Ubuntu method of installing the Nvidia diver. I also upgraded the kernel when offered. I have no problems. You create nasty problems for yourself when you use installation methods and drivers other than those supported by Ubuntu. Envy and others aren't supported by Ubuntu or provided in their repositories. I see this same issue pop up everytime someone attempts to use an Ubuntu update or upgrade after experimenting with less than official packages. When you compile a driver rather than installing a prepared deb package your compile isn't registered with the package management system. This planned failure for future updates from Ubuntu.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

A final note: at this point in time the -17 kernels are only available in the hardy-proposed repository. This is where bugfix updates to Hardy are pushed first, to recieve testing. As such, this repository is subject to the same sort of problems as an unstable release, but on a lesser scale. Everything should work in there, but it's explicitly for testing, so breakage may occur. In particular, this sort of breakage (where the kernel image is built but an associated package isn't yet built) is going to happen each time a new kernel ABI is pushed (the -17 part of the version string). You can't build the restricted modules without the new kernel, so there's an unavoidable period of time when the repository is in this state.

If you're going to run with the hardy-proposed repository enabled you should be treating it somewhat like running the development release, and be careful on updates. For most people it's better to not have hardy-proposed enabled, unless they want to test a bugfix for a specific bug they are seeing.
    Remember: if your problem is not described on a Launchpad bug, it can only be fixed by accident!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu
    Quote Originally Posted by fragos View Post
    I installed 8.04 and used the Ubuntu method of installing the Nvidia diver.
    If that had worked for me, I would not have resorted to the other methods. Unfortunately, it didn't. Therefore I found methods that did work.

Envy [isn't] supported by Ubuntu or provided in their repositories.
    This is totally wrong. EnvyNG is completely compatible with Ubuntu in every way.

See the EnvyNG faq: http://albertomilone.com/envyngfaq.html

A.2. EnvyNG is available in Ubuntu's "universe" repository,
    D. EnvyNG is 100% compatible with Ubuntu.
    Last edited by MountainX; May 5th, 2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: added link to faq

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RAOF View Post
    A final note: at this point in time the -17 kernels are only available in the hardy-proposed repository. This is where bugfix updates to Hardy are pushed first, to recieve testing. As such, this repository is subject to the same sort of problems as an unstable release, but on a lesser scale. Everything should work in there, but it's explicitly for testing, so breakage may occur. In particular, this sort of breakage (where the kernel image is built but an associated package isn't yet built) is going to happen each time a new kernel ABI is pushed (the -17 part of the version string). You can't build the restricted modules without the new kernel, so there's an unavoidable period of time when the repository is in this state.

If you're going to run with the hardy-proposed repository enabled you should be treating it somewhat like running the development release, and be careful on updates. For most people it's better to not have hardy-proposed enabled, unless they want to test a bugfix for a specific bug they are seeing.
    Thank you! That clears up a lot of things for me. Now I realize why this all happened and why I didn't see many other people with the issue. I had forgotten that I enabled the hardy-proposed repository while Hardy was in beta. I will disable that soon.

If I plan to leave this kernel version installed, will it create any issues if I go ahead and disable the hardy-proposed repository now?

BTW, I am not having any issues with the -17 kernel and the non-Ubuntu nvidia drivers as described earlier in this thread. It is super easy to uninstall that nvidia driver. I think I will just wait for the -17 (or -18) kernel and nvidia driver to show up in the regular Ubuntu repository and then switch everything over.

I will uninstall the non-Ubuntu nvidia driver first. Then I will upgrade any packages required. Then I will use EnvyNG to install the nvidia driver.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
    If that had worked for me, I would not have resorted to the other methods. Unfortunately, it didn't. Therefore I found methods that did work.

This is totally wrong. EnvyNG is completely compatible with Ubuntu in every way.

See the EnvyNG faq: http://albertomilone.com/envyngfaq.html

A.2. EnvyNG is available in Ubuntu's "universe" repository,
    D. EnvyNG is 100% compatible with Ubuntu.
    My mistake, *.04 is the 1st version to include Envy in the Ubuntu repositories.
    Internet Coach & Writer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Arrow Re: help with EnvyNG after kernel upgrade to 2.6.24-19

I am again experiencing the same problems with EnvyNG, now with kernel 2.6.24-19.

As noted in earlier posts in this thread, I could not get EnvyNG to work with kernel 2.6.24-17. However, I thought that was due to the fact that I had the hardy-proposed repos enabled back then. I do not have that repos enabled now.

Today, since FF3 came out, I decided to update everything.
    First, I removed all prior nVidia drivers and completely cleaned out my system using the steps I mentioned in earlier posts in this thread. I rebooted.

Then, using Synaptic, I installed all the latest updates, including EnvyNG, kernel 2.6.24-19, and the rest of the updates offered.

When I ran EnvyNG, it again tried to install kernel 2.6.24-16, just like it did when I had kernel 2.6.24-17 installed last month. I canceled out of EnvyNG before it could install the old kernel.

Is EnvyNG working properly for anyone else using kernel 2.6.24-19? What might I be doing wrong? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Re: help with EnvyNG after kernel upgrade to 2.6.24-19

I don't understand the purpose envy provides when the end result appears to be the same nvidia version you get automaticaly when you use Ubuntu supplied method of enabling the Nvidia driver in "Hardware Drivers" preferences. Having done that all kernel upgrades come with the proper Nvidia driver without my taking any aditional action.
    Internet Coach & Writer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I don't understand the purpose envy provides when the end result appears to be the same nvidia version you get automaticaly when you use Ubuntu supplied method of enabling the Nvidia driver in "Hardware Drivers" preferences. Having done that all kernel upgrades come with the proper Nvidia driver without my taking any aditional action.
    I do not have any entries in "Hardware Drivers". Not sure how to fix that problem. I'm more familiar with Envy, so I'll probably have an easier time fixing it. However, if you want to suggest how to make your method work, I'll try it.

Or maybe I'll just have to install the nVidia driver manually again. (It isn't really that hard to do, but it does add a bit of a hassle when it is time to update the kernel.)

Beans
    Distro

If you run the Synaptic Package Manager and install package "nvidia-glx-new" That should fix you up for future updates. I don't however understand why your Nvidia doesn't show up in Hardware Drivers. Is it a motherboard chipset or a separate video card? What card do you have? "lspci |grep VGA" will provide that information.
    Internet Coach & Writer

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast