Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: help with nvidia after kernel upgrade to 2.6.24-17

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Arrow Re: help with EnvyNG after kernel upgrade to 2.6.24-19

Quote Originally Posted by fragos View Post
    If you run the Synaptic Package Manager and install package "nvidia-glx-new" That should fix you up for future updates. I don't however understand why your Nvidia doesn't show up in Hardware Drivers. Is it a motherboard chipset or a separate video card? What card do you have? "lspci |grep VGA" will provide that information.
    When I use Synaptic Package Manager to install nvidia-glx-new, it indicates that it will also have to install kernel 2.6.24-16. I am currently running -19, as mentioned. Therefore, I do not want to downgrade to -16.

Does this indicate that everyone using nVidia restricted drivers from Ubuntu is stuck on kernel -16, or does this indicate that I am having a rare problem? (The only other option I can think of is that this is the result of some glitch that arises from the fact that I started using Hardy at the alpha stage when jockey-gtk wasn't working well.) I am confused!!!

My hardware is GeForce 8600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCIe x16 SLI (see my signature)
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: help with EnvyNG after kernel upgrade to 2.6.24-19

There is a -19 version of nvidia-glx-new in the Ubuntu repository. Has the Update Manger been run daily by the system? Your system's repositoy directory isn't aware of the -19 version. You might try manually runnung Update Manager. I wonder if this relates to using envy when you first installed 8.04. Envy is in the universe pepository which means it's community only support, not Canonical. The drivers themselves only have vender support and are in the restricted repository. In Software Sources are the universe, restricted and multiverse options checked on? That might be why it can't see the newer versions of some packages.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There is a -19 version of nvidia-glx-new in the Ubuntu repository. Has the Update Manger been run daily by the system? Your system's repositoy directory isn't aware of the -19 version. You might try manually runnung Update Manager. I wonder if this relates to using envy when you first installed 8.04. Envy is in the universe pepository which means it's community only support, not Canonical. The drivers themselves only have vender support and are in the restricted repository. In Software Sources are the universe, restricted and multiverse options checked on? That might be why it can't see the newer versions of some packages.
    Thanks for your continued responses. My system is set to check for updates daily, but I always manually reload the latest package info before running Update Manager or Synaptic so I know I have a list that is less than 24 hours old. (I also made sure I am on a current mirror by setting it to the main ubuntu repository.)

What is the version of nvidia-glx-new you see in Synaptic? I see 4 different versions, including 169.12+2.6.24.13-19.42 (hardy-updates). Is this the one you are using? Maybe I need to force that version (although I'm not sure why I would need to do that).

Beans
    Distro

That is the version I have and am using. Was your initial install of 8.04 an upgrade or clean? Mine was clean. Do you have "linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic" installed?
    Internet Coach & Writer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: help with nvidia after kernel upgrade to 2.6.24-17

I installed Hardy clean.

I do not have "linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic" installed. However, I DO have "linux-restricted-modules-common-2.6.24-19" installed.

Beans
    Distro

WE may be getting close to an answer. I have the following linux-restricted packages:

linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic -- ver 2.6.24.13-19.24
    linux-restricted-modules-common -- ver 2.6.24.13-19.42
    linux-restricted-modules-generic -- ver 2.6.24.19.21
    Internet Coach & Writer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I found the reason Synaptic would not install the correct nvidia restricted module (without me forcing the version). I had these two lines in my third party software sources:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/albertomilone/ubuntu hardy (main)
    http://ppa.launchpad.net/albertomilone/ubuntu hardy (source code)

I removed those and now I can install the correct nvidia restricted driver for kernel -19.

However, EnvyNG still will not work. I tried it again before I used Synaptic. I have the latest version of EnvyNG, yet is still tries to downgrade me to kernel -16. Therefore, I will not be using EnvyNG. As fragos points out, maybe there isn't a need to use it.

The other weird thing is that I still do not have any entries in the Hardware Drivers tool. My nvidia-glx-new driver is working and I have TwinView fully operational, yet nothing is listed in Hardware Drivers.

Back in the beta period I was told that a lot of people were experiencing problems with Hardy's Hardware Drivers tool. I expected those would be resolved by now...

Beans
    Distro

I seem to recall that Alberto Milone is the autor of Envy. Glad it works for you now.
    Internet Coach & Writer

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I seem to recall that Alberto Milone is the autor of Envy. Glad it works for you now.
    Yes, Alberto is the author. Thanks for your help.

(Unfortunately, EnvyNG isn't working, but yes, Synaptic works now.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I got the envyng thing to work for me. Display still isnt perfect, but its better than the 600x480 i was getting before.
    Laptop: Toshiba T130 1.3 GHz U2700 320GbHDD -- Things not working on 12.10: Screen dimming (works only on CLI sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=90). Contact me with solutions please!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234