Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to install Avast 4 for Ubuntu 8.04 (64-bit)

Beans

How to install Avast 4 for Ubuntu 8.10 [64-bit]

UPDATED: Guide has been updated for v8.10

Avast.com currently offers a free Avast download for Ubuntu. Unfortunately they only provide a deb package for 32-bit systems. Avast actually runs quite well on a 64-bit system, but the installation requires a few extra steps. This guide will walk you through the process of installing Avast on a 64-bit system.

1. First off, install the ia32-libs package if it's not already installed.
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
      The ia32-libs package must be >= 2.2ubuntu18.

2. Download the Avast debian package here and save it to your desktop. The instructions below assume that the avast package can be found on your desktop so it's important that you choose your desktop as the download location.
    3. After it's downloaded change to your desktop folder.
      Code:
      cd /home/YourUserName/Desktop
    4. Install the avast deb package.
      Code:
      sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i avast4workstation_1.3.0-2_i386.deb
    5. You need to make sure that all of the required libraries can be found in your /usr/lib32 folder. To help simplify this task I've created a libs package for avast and attached it to this post. Simply download the attachment and then type the following:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -i ia32-avast-libs.deb
    6. After the packages are installed make sure that all of the required libraries can be found. Type the following:
      Code:
      ldd /usr/lib/avast4workstation/bin/avastgui
      ldd /usr/lib/avast4workstation/bin/avast
    7. Scroll through both lists and make sure that none of them say 'Not found'. As long as you didn't find any libraries listed as 'not found' then you should now be able to run Avast from your Applications menu.

Library Not Found
    If any say not found then you may need to install additional packages or as a last resort manually extract the libraries from a package into your /usr/lib32 folder. You can do a package contents search here. Just enter the name of the missing library and search for a package that contains it. Once you've found the package download the i386 version and use file-roller to extract the missing library into your /usr/lib32 folder.

To uninstall this package simply type the following:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -r avast4workstation
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by linuxed; September 21st, 2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: added uninstall info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: how to install Avast 4 for Ubuntu 8.04 (64-bit)

I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I just have one question. How do I remove avast antivirus once I install it using this tutorial?

Thanks in advance,
    WeEatVista

Beans

anyone varify this works?

Beans

great tutorial but how to i increase the font in avast application because i cannot read anything. all the text is too small

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by WeEatVista View Post
    I'm sorry to bump this thread, but I just have one question. How do I remove avast antivirus once I install it using this tutorial?

Thanks in advance,
    WeEatVista
    As you would any normal Ubuntu package. Either from synaptic or from command-line. The name of the package is avast4workstation. Perhaps the author can add a tidbit about uninstalling.

Yes, the tutorial works as is.
    Last edited by Kow; July 25th, 2008 at 10:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by veiloctane View Post
    great tutorial but how to i increase the font in avast application because i cannot read anything. all the text is too small
    found the answer:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=229128

If you like to use GTK 2.x then work your way to the avast directory.
    Code:

cd /usr/lib/avast4workstation

Then just remove the
    Code:

sudo rm -rf lib-x11/

and
    Code:

sudo rm -rf lib-gtk2/

confirmed working in ubuntu studio!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

why don't you simply use
    Code:
     sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i avast4workstation_1.0.8-2_i386.deb
    ?
    the only disadvantage I see is the missing proper entry in the menu but this is no big deal to do yourselves.

works fine for me in Ubuntu!

Beans

I did this to install avast and it worked fine. But then i messed up ubuntu so did a full reinstall and did it again and it didn't work. Its in my system tools but when i click it the loading sign appears for less than a second and thats it.
    How do i completly reverse the process so i can try it again with out formatting again?
    Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by alex199020 View Post
    I did this to install avast and it worked fine. But then i messed up ubuntu so did a full reinstall and did it again and it didn't work. Its in my system tools but when i click it the loading sign appears for less than a second and thats it.
    How do i completly reverse the process so i can try it again with out formatting again?
    Thanks for the help!
    First of all, which of the installation procedures did you follow?
    And NO, you do not need to reinstall Ubuntu every time something does not work (forget your Windows behaviour ). And in the case if you were not very experienced with linux: you do NOT need to have a virus scan installed (linux is safe unless you do not install packages from strange sources). The virus scan is only there to occassionally look for viruses on your windows installation.

Beans

i have installed Avast in Ubuntu 8. however i can only run it by opening a terminal and execute avastgui command, i cant find any shortcuts anywhere. how can i create a shortcut to run avast with just a few clicks?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast