Thread: [SOLVED] Ubuntu Desktop as Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] Ubuntu Desktop as Server

i'm relatively new to Ubuntu, i've used it on virtual machines so i'm familiar with it. I got a few dell optiplex gx1s from my high school. so i decided to turn one of them into a server. i tried ubuntu server, but i didn't feel like learning all the terminal commands, so instead i decided to use the desktop edition as a server. now here is the real question (from a newbie ). i want FTP, HTTP, and VNC, which i know how to set up, but should i use LAMPP all-in-one or just Apache2, and GPROFTPD alone. What are the benefits of using LAMPP compared to the latter?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu Desktop as Server

I can't answer your question but...

...one command would have helped you, the one where you installed a desktop environment so you didn't have to use the terminal for everything in the server edition

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'd install the lamp server plus openssh, that way you don't need to install an ftp server, use sftp instead, to access the files from windows use wincp to upload and download files. To cut down on the overhead and other problems that installing a gui entail, why not use a web based server administration suite. they are an easier way to administer the server then trying to do it with a desktop. Have a look at webmin and ebox. Have a look at webmin here:

http://www.webmin.com/

and ebox here:

http://ebox-platform.com/

Jim

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by z2daj View Post
    What are the benefits of using LAMPP compared to the latter?
    Installing the LAMP server just installs/integrates MySQL (and/or PostgreSQL) and PHP. As mentioned, SSH is another installation option (as are a mail server, DHCP server, DNS...).
    This thread goes into the question about the GUI.
    Last edited by Iowan; August 13th, 2008 at 02:40 AM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The server edition does have a different kernel - unless it's changed since I last checked (in 8.04, that is) it doesn't use the tickless feature, and is configured for a 100Hz tick rate.

100Hz is good for most server applications, etc, but the desktop kernel is actually better for Virtualization (if you get into that, and only after you disable the tickless feature).

All being said, you can install the Server kernel on your desktop either through synaptic or with

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-server
    And...

Code:
     sudo apt-get install linux-restricted-modules-server
    You'll still have GNOME, and all the GUI doo-dads, but w/ the Server kernel.

You'll also have both kernels in GRUB (unless you remove the Desktop kernel), so you can choose which you want at boot-up.

Beans
    Distro

You should be just fine. You can install everything that you need on the desktop version. It's probably going to be a bit easier getting your feet wet and used to the environment. Once you get more comfortable, you may find that you like the command line interface in the end. Personally, I love the command line as it makes documentation extremely simple.
    Desktop: Ubuntu 9.04, AMD64 X2 4600+, Asus M2NPV-VM, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 7600GT

Laptop: Ubuntu 9.04, Dell Latitude E6400, Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 4GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 160M, Dell 1397 Wireless.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am using Ubuntu 7.10. I currently host my personal site using Apache2 with Citadel BBS and Gnump. This is my first server install and site. The learning curve is steep, but not unmanageable. There is plenty of support forums on the web, which has made the process much easier.
    ~Mark
    http://nwlinux.com - tech blog

Beans

Right now I'm currently running Ubuntu server edition 7.10 with Apache 2 web server. I would take the time to learn the command line just because you don't want to run any uneeded applications Like X11 or any other apps that run with the GUI especially since it's going to be exposed the internet. that's just my thought. I found installing the server edition and installing apache were fairly simple and straight forward. Hope this helps.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
    Yyou may find that you like the command line interface in the end. Personally, I love the command line as it makes documentation extremely simple.
    haha yea, i ended up installing the server edition in the end... what a breeze to set up! i installed the LAMP, openSSH, and Postrsql server and modified permissions so that i can winscp into the /var/www directory. but now here comes another question, what about php scripters such as xoops, phpnuke, and phpbb? i've tried installing xoops but halfway through the set-up it claims that my MySQL database is not active... which it is. any ideas? do i have to forward ports for MySQL? thanks for the responses!