Thread: is a home partition right for me?

Beans

is a home partition right for me?

basically 8.10 is the first time i've used ubuntu. i have done a lot of customizing and would hate to have to lose that when i upgrade to the newer version of ubuntu next month. basically i can download the ubuntu installer on my campus network much faster than i can at home so it would be much faster for me to do a clean install then going through the software channel. would a home partition keep all my settings intact? i really want to get the new filesystem

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: is a home partition right for me?

Tentatively, yes. Most settings are stored in your home directory, so separating home onto a different partition would make things easier.

There may be more minute differences, but for the most part, yes.

I'll wait for someone else to chime in.

Beans

is it possible to just do a copy paste of your home folder from old installation to new installation?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    is it possible to just do a copy paste of your home folder from old installation to new installation?
    On new install all you would do is tell the Ubuntu installer to use your old /home partition for /home, but maske sure NOT to check the box to format.

Having a seperate /home partition is the smart thing to do.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans

cool thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I thinknusing a home partition is the thing to do. But when I install on another computer I just use the hidden files for the things that are important to me like .mozilla and .mozilla-thunderbird. I will usually put them in the new home before I have opened the apps. If I wait until after I have used the app I have to put the current file in the trash first. It is much quicker than using the whole home folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just performed a fresh install of 8.10 when I upgraded my HD. I did a drag and drop of the /home folder and it worked great for most things.

That said, I still had to update my repos, install my programs, and some things like my TomBoy notes are still MIA.

For the most part though, copying /home worked very well.
    Ubuntu 10.4

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    basically 8.10 is the first time i've used ubuntu. i have done a lot of customizing and would hate to have to lose that when i upgrade to the newer version of ubuntu next month. basically i can download the ubuntu installer on my campus network much faster than i can at home so it would be much faster for me to do a clean install then going through the software channel. would a home partition keep all my settings intact? i really want to get the new filesystem
    Basically, yes. The easiest way to keep your setting when reinstalling Ubuntu is to have a separate home partition. If you are going to keep your existing home files, make sure you copy the hidden files and folders as well.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi