Thread: Have a read-only filesystem after upgrade to Hardy

Beans

Question Have a read-only filesystem after upgrade to Hardy

Hi,

I just upgraded to Hardy and run into some problems. Without touching it, my root was set to read-only. So GDM failed, because no log, tmp, etc. files could be written, of course.

I had a look at my fstab and saw it's mounted read-only on errors. (which is the default in ubuntu).
    Code:
    # /dev/sda3
    UUID=76462b60-7459-4689-8b01-74fe1dd36455 /               ext3    rw,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    Unfortunately I couldn't find an error in the logs. So I just changed it to continue on errors:
    Code:
    # /dev/sda3
    UUID=76462b60-7459-4689-8b01-74fe1dd36455 /               ext3    rw,errors=continue 0       1
    But this didn't helped! The only way to get to my desktop is to remount from the command line. This does the trick:
    Code:
    $ sudo mount -o remount,rw /
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    But I'm not happy with that, because it's a hack! My system should boot without my helping hands.

Any ideas out there? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Have a read-only filesystem after upgrade to Hardy

Do you have the Ubuntu Live CD? If so, boot the Ubuntu Live CD and then perform an fsck on the drive:-
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck -f /dev/drive/partition-location
    After that is done, see if the Ubuntu root partition now mounts properly.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

Question Re: Have a read-only filesystem after upgrade to Hardy

Thanks, I tried that. But fsck didn't found errors and the problem is still there.

Which steps are performed when a partition is mounted? And why can the 'continue' entry in the fstab be ignored?

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just remove the 'errors=something' line and see if it makes an improvement,but you may have to be careful with this since there must be a reason why Ubuntu is mounting root as read-only.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

Beans

I am wondering if this has something do do with the fact I have installed Ubuntu a half a dozen times? Mine comes up with auto fsck but if I exit (esc) it boots normally. Also if I hit (esc) before this I have 4 choices to boot from. Is there some sort of regclean? When I reinstalled did it leave dead boot records on the drive?

Beans

fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
    fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'UUID=62949786-70b5-48a9-8b25-397057b7f7f4'
    donald@donald-laptop:~$
    Last edited by pewjumper; July 7th, 2008 at 05:48 PM.

Beans

What is the best way to totally wipe the drive and install completely new Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pewjumper View Post
    What is the best way to totally wipe the drive and install completely new Ubuntu?
    Your problem may be an incorrect UUID, when you boot the Ubuntu Live CD and execute:-
    Code:
    sudo blkid
    check if the results shown match those in you /etc/fstab file.