Thread: Have a read-only filesystem after upgrade to Hardy

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Have a read-only filesystem after upgrade to Hardy

Hi,

I just upgraded to Hardy and run into some problems. Without touching it, my root was set to read-only. So GDM failed, because no log, tmp, etc. files could be written, of course.

I had a look at my fstab and saw it's mounted read-only on errors. (which is the default in ubuntu).
    Code:
    # /dev/sda3
    UUID=76462b60-7459-4689-8b01-74fe1dd36455 /               ext3    rw,errors=remount-ro 0       1
    Unfortunately I couldn't find an error in the logs. So I just changed it to continue on errors:
    Code:
    # /dev/sda3
    UUID=76462b60-7459-4689-8b01-74fe1dd36455 /               ext3    rw,errors=continue 0       1
    But this didn't helped! The only way to get to my desktop is to remount from the command line. This does the trick:
    Code:
    $ sudo mount -o remount,rw /
    $ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
    But I'm not happy with that, because it's a hack! My system should boot without my helping hands.

Any ideas out there? Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Have a read-only filesystem after upgrade to Hardy

Do you have the Ubuntu Live CD? If so, boot the Ubuntu Live CD and then perform an fsck on the drive:-
    Code:
    sudo e2fsck -f /dev/drive/partition-location
    After that is done, see if the Ubuntu root partition now mounts properly.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

Question Re: Have a read-only filesystem after upgrade to Hardy

Thanks, I tried that. But fsck didn't found errors and the problem is still there.

Which steps are performed when a partition is mounted? And why can the 'continue' entry in the fstab be ignored?

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just remove the 'errors=something' line and see if it makes an improvement,but you may have to be careful with this since there must be a reason why Ubuntu is mounting root as read-only.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans

I am wondering if this has something do do with the fact I have installed Ubuntu a half a dozen times? Mine comes up with auto fsck but if I exit (esc) it boots normally. Also if I hit (esc) before this I have 4 choices to boot from. Is there some sort of regclean? When I reinstalled did it leave dead boot records on the drive?

Beans

fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
    fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'UUID=62949786-70b5-48a9-8b25-397057b7f7f4'
    donald@donald-laptop:~$
    Last edited by pewjumper; July 7th, 2008 at 05:48 PM.