Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which cds do I use? - Office XP media content, Office Service PK 1 or Office XP PRO?

Beans

which cds do I use? - Office XP media content, Office Service PK 1 or Office XP PRO?

Alright I have a bunch of microsoft office stuff... but not sure what one I need to install.

This will be installed on XP Pro OS

I have the following:

Office XP Pro version 2002
    Office XP Media content version 2002
    Office XP Service Pack 1 version 2002
    Office Publisher version 2002 (but I dont think I will use this, if I needed any part of it it would be the website aspect, but I think there are other better free programs out there to build a website)

But...

Do I just install the XP Pro version and get rid of the others?

or do I also have to install the media content and the service pack 1 along with the XP Pro cds?

Beans

Re: which cds do I use? - Office XP media content, Office Service PK 1 or Office XP P

I've never personally used any MS content or software, so I wouldn't know what you are talking about.
    Although, am I right in thinking that XP Pro is the main package and the Content and Pack 1 cds are just addon extras?

Anyhow, make sure that the products you use are compatible with WINE first.

That is imperative to know before you try installing.

Regards
    Iain
    Last edited by ibuclaw; August 5th, 2008 at 08:08 PM.

Beans

Re: which cds do I use? - Office XP media content, Office Service PK 1 or Office XP P

No I'm going to install these on the windows partition, not ubuntu.

The other 2 disks dont mention anything about PRO though, just say office XP.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicWonders View Post
    Alright I have a bunch of microsoft office stuff... but not sure what one I need to install.

This will be installed on XP Pro OS

I have the following:

Office XP Pro version 2002
    Office XP Media content version 2002
    Office XP Service Pack 1 version 2002
    Office Publisher version 2002 (but I dont think I will use this, if I needed any part of it it would be the website aspect, but I think there are other better free programs out there to build a website)

But...

Do I just install the XP Pro version and get rid of the others?

or do I also have to install the media content and the service pack 1 along with the XP Pro cds?

why not just install open office, like you would use in ubuntu. Microsoft Office XP is a productivity suite written and distributed by Microsoft for their Windows operating system. It was the successor to Office 2000 and the predecessor to Office 2003, and was known as Office 10 in the early stages of its development cycle. Office XP was released to manufacturing on March 5, 2001. It has received three service packs during its lifetime. Mainstream support for Office XP ended on July 11, 2006, with extended Support scheduled to end on July 12, 2011.

office xp service pack is simply updates and fixes to the orginal release of office xp. by the way i think microsoft came out with service pack 3 for office xp a while back, u might want to install that version rather than the one u have

Beans

I will also install stuff in ubuntu... but i also want windows to be tricked out.

So I need to install the Windows Office XP Pro cd, install the media pack and then download the service pack 3 from their website?

Are you sure the media pack and the service pack are for Office Pro?

They Only say Office XP on them and nothing about Pro?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I will also install stuff in ubuntu... but i also want windows to be tricked out
    And you're using Office XP?
    Jaunty Jackalope, because we feel bad for that other guy from Full House.

Beans

Once again, this is for windows, not ubuntu.

I'm waiting on my dsl to be activated so I can download Ubuntu.

Until then I am going to trick windows out with every program I need.

Then When I have dsl I will get ubuntu.

So, we've determined that I can download the newest service pack making the cd I have useless.

But what about the media pack?

Beans

But what about the media pack?

Office 2003.I think it is latest.But you can also install Open office on Windows.I see that every day.

Beans

Once again, this is for windows, not ubuntu.
    So what's this got to do with ubuntu and why are you asking this in ubuntu forums?

Beans

because I dont want to have to be a part of 348 forums to get questions answered.

ubuntu is going to be my main OS, so if I plan on staying here, I'm sure there will be people who are just as knowledgable in windows that dont mind helping out.

is that alright with you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast