Thread: ATI HD3850 shows blank screen after login.

Beans

Unhappy ATI HD3850 shows blank screen after login.

I have the latest version of Ubuntu (8.04 LTS) with all the latest updates installed. My video card, an ATI HD3850 AGP, worked fine during installation and after updates. However, after I installed the ATI package driver available, the system displays the login screen, but after logging in the background goes white with only the mouse cursor visible. There are no menus and the mouse cursor does move but nothing to click on. When I uninstall the ATI drivers and run the generic, the system displays at a low resolution and it will not allow me to change the res. Previous to installing the ATI package driver the first time, I was at least able to change my resolution settings. Now I am stuck with a low res mode with generic or a white blank screen with the ATI. Any log request or other information needed let me know. Thanks.

Beans

Re: ATI HD3850 shows blank screen after login.

I had the same issues.
    xorg.conf?

Beans

Re: ATI HD3850 shows blank screen after login.

Here is the file. I grabbed this while in terminal mode. I can run terminal along with firefox and gedit through the terminal fine. Through here I can see how to change my default res, but no idea on the video card fix. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Talking Re: ATI HD3850 shows blank screen after login.

Problem solved by using ATI drivers from the ATI webpage. Everything is now working fine and the ATI control panel shows up with configuration choices.

Beans

Talking SOLVED!! Re: ATI HD3850 shows blank screen after login.

Problem solved by using ATI drivers from the ATI webpage. Everything is now working fine and the ATI control panel shows up with configuration choices.