Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Speakers weird noise on shutdown

Beans

Re: Speakers weird noise on shutdown

Same issue. I am using a HP DV7-2173CL running Ubuntu 9.10

I really doubt this is an unfixable issue, because I dual boot with Windows 7 on this machine, and a Windows 7 shutdown does not cause this crackling/popping noise.

In fact, my Windows 7 partition was a Vista upgrade...and Vista did not make those noises at shutdown either.

Beans

Thanks Dropbear!
    That fix the sound problem.

Beans

same with me.

BUT the problem only occurs when i try to shutdown via commandline. else i dont get any noise. Also HP Pavilion DV5 here...
    Dropbears solution doesnt work with me.

Beans

Just thought that I'd post my success story, Dropbear's solution works for me running 9.10 on an HP Pavillion dv7-3060US laptop. Just commented out that line, and the sound went away

Thanks dropbear.

*EDIT* Well, as it turns out, the problem ISN'T gone. It now shows up even with speakers muted, so I'm really not sure what more to do. Rather annoying to have my laptop fart during class.
    Last edited by opethfan89; March 18th, 2010 at 03:16 AM.
    Laptop HP Pavillion dv7-3060US running Linux Mint 14 x64 (Cinnamon Desktop)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No one found a solution for this yet?
    Last edited by andersgb1; April 13th, 2010 at 08:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've experienced this extremely irritating and hardware-wise severe bug both in Karmic and Lucid beta 2. Being a very frequent user (certainly no expert, though) of Ubuntu, I find it very frustrating that this bug has not been fixed. I've managed to remove the terminal autocomplete noise by appending:
    Code:
    termset -blength 0
    to ~/.bashrc. Regarding shutdown/restart, I've tried to add scripts to /etc/rc0.d/ and /etc/rc6.d/ containing the same line, but without any luck. None of the previous suggestions involving blacklist.conf and alsa-base.conf worked for me...

EDIT: For reasons still unknown to me, the suggestion in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1367499 solved the problem for me:
    I seem to have found a workaround... I turned of the splash screen (edited /etc/default/grub and changed GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet", and ran update-grub, both with sudo), and now after that my laptop didn't beep. So far I tested it only once, but the laptop used to beep every time, and now it didn't.
    I don't have a splash screen anymore, but if those beeps go away I'm more than happy with that solution.
    Last edited by andersgb1; April 20th, 2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: "Solution" found
    Lenovo W520 | NVIDIA Quadro 2000M | Ubuntu 11.04 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I already have the pcspkr blacklisted and the "options snd-hda-intel power_save=10" isn't even listed in my alsa-base.conf. But the above solution worked after reboot.
    Last edited by RuncaProfundus; April 26th, 2010 at 04:56 AM. Reason: correcting misinformation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have just upgraded to Lucid 64bit and the option "power_save" doesn't appear any more, so I can't change it in "4".

Anyone knows how to avoid the cracking noise on reboot?

P.s.: hp dv5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

could someone help me on this irritating issue? i face it in dell inspiron 1564 with lucid 32 bit. still no solution after so many days ? i am interested to stay with latest LTS

Beans

I do not think that this is a software issue. Regardless of the OS installed (I have installed Win7, Ubuntu/Linux, and OSX; not all at the same time) the speakers have made a pop noise. The problem started after the computer was several years old and was still using the factory installed OS (win7) with the original drivers.

I would doubt that there is anything to worry about as the speakers play just fine during uptime.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123