Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dislike of Microsoft by Linux users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Dislike of Microsoft by Linux users

Okay, first things first, this is not intended to be a flaming thread, I earnestly request that you please refrain from doing so. I would like to discuss the reasons Linuxers (Linux users) ends up harboring [a great] dislike for Microsoft.

Moderators, I ask you not to lock this thread, but delete offending flame posts.

Okay, so the reason I think Linuxers hate Microsoft is when we find a free operating system, much better than Windows in literally every way, we feel cheated (out of money, time, and whatever losses due to software failures). The more we discover the virtues of Linux, the dislike increases proportionally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Dislike of Microsoft by Linux users

Lol, all your contentions are bogus and unprovable take a statistics class and you will understand.

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

Wink Re: Dislike of Microsoft by Linux users

I don't hate Microsoft, they've had some great software over the years and in my humble opinion I think Windows XP was the best operating system that they made.

I don't harbour any resentment for Microsoft, because if it wasn't for them I'd never of found out about Linux and how brilliant it is to use.

Beans
    Distro

I did not say hatred, but dislike.

And wilee-nilee, if my contentions are bogus, what is your opinion?

Beans

Microsoft has made some of the best software ever. Visual Studio, Flight Simulator X, Age of Empires 2, Office etc. And Linux isn't better "in virtually every way". It's better in some ways and worse in others. Microsoft hatred primarily comes from immaturity and a desire to be different.

Beans

I have nothing against Microsoft, support their right to charge a fair price for their software, and use several of their products on a regular basics. Please do not speak for others.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

I enjoy all technology. Regardless

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    Microsoft has made some of the best software ever. Visual Studio, Flight Simulator X, Age of Empires 2, Office etc. And Linux isn't better "in virtually every way". It's better in some ways and worse in others. Microsoft hatred primarily comes from immaturity and a desire to be different.
    Yes, I did very well enjoy the Age of Empires series, but other than games I find the softwares doesn't live up to expectations when compared to the free alternatives.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

First, I am an avid Linux user and I don't hate or dislike Microsoft. MS is just a company with a lot of nice employees just trying to make a living developing software.

I use Linux because I not only like it and find it superior to MS Windows. I also like the concept of Open Source.

I have been using computer even before DOS and have done some programing back in the 70's and 80's, and I put all the programs I developed in the public domain because I always believed that no one should have to paid for software. I still feel this way, but I do not condemn those who don't feel the same way I do.

I also feel that if people (or computer users) would just embrace Open Source they would start to feel the way I do. I believe Open Source is starting to get a fair shake because of Linux users. I think the word is getting out here and our user base will keep on growing.

There you have my two cents on this subject. And now I will get off my soapbox.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Oxwivi View Post
    I did not say hatred, but dislike.

And wilee-nilee, if my contentions are bogus, what is your opinion?
    My opinion is that there is know way to support your ideas with actual data that is demographically sound.

Beyond that I started with open source, but I have legal installs of XP and W7 I use to help those who have problems. I am more used to the open source platform, and it unpacks safer then a MS of any type unpacked to a admin account, if you go on the web. MS can be run as safe as open source if tweaked correctly and staying away from scareware social engineering. MS software though has a big bulls eye on it as far as scripting that will ruin your setup or steal your information.

I don't dislike MS I just don't need it except to help those that do need help.
    Last edited by wilee-nilee; November 4th, 2010 at 05:58 PM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast