Thread: Installed to USB flash drive, but it broke windows on my hard drive

Beans

Unhappy [SOLVED] Installed to USB flash drive, but it broke windows on my hard drive

Hi there

I have just finished installing the pre-release version of Ubuntu 8.10 to see what it was like. As I didn't want to modify my hard drive just to play around, I decided to try and install it to an 8gb USB flash drive instead.

I chose the 8gb drive from the install location and installed. Unfortunately after installing, I am unable to boot from the USB flash drive, despite my board supporting it and showing it in the boot menu. Additionally, it seems the install has borked my Windows installation on my C drive too, because if I remove the flash drive and reboot, I get the following error:

GRUB Loading stage1.5.

GRUB loading, please wait...
    Error 21

Firstly, why doesnt the Ubuntu installer warn you that it's going to modify drives other than the one you selected as the install destination? Secondly, and most importantly, what does the above error mean and how can I get my copy of windows working again without a full reinstall?

I'm using Vista x64 Ultimate on a RAID 0 pair of disks.

Regards,
    Ryan "Ryster" Spooner.
    Last edited by Ryster; October 4th, 2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Solved

Beans

Re: Installed to USB flash drive, but it broke windows on my hard drive

Hi guys

I got this sorted now. Just thought I'd post here so no-one wastes their time researching the solution for me. Also anyone else with a similar problem, might benefit from this particular Microsoft KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Cheers,
    Ryster out